1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not so cool in the hills of North Carolina..Tennessee..

2. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There it is...

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Well, they (we) own the grid, so...

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Curious what you mean by solar flux?

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Maybe I should have said "net". Estimated irradiance, which in turn (as I tried to make clear in my response to the absolute statement I was commenting on, which was bullshit) is influenced by a number of local conditions and application (think panel orientation). You want me to recite the Stefan-Bolztmann constant?
    Like I said, YMMV.

7. sheepofblue

If that was aimed at me does that mean 'solar flux' translates to a good location/region for solar generation?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. Same for the windfarms pretty much anywhere, I'd rather see a nuke cooling tower...

Britt likes this.
  9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Last year on the trip to Colorado we saw these massive wind farms, discussing the subject and looking up facts..

We found out, if you took all the windmills in the US and hooked them to power Manhattan for a day.. they wouldn't provide enough power.. that is all I needed to know about them.

10. sheepofblue

buuuuuuttttt the chiiilldrrrrrren

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Are using the resources and straining the planet.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Wind and solar power so efficient and effective but only by using tax payer dollars. Like so way better human beings use them. They are the greatest Americans ever.

crashman likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Look, it’s a simple matter of resource allocation.

Resources are finite. Straining those resources is the cause of all this strife.

Environmentalists should immediately cease their use of these precious overtaxed resources.

Let’s start with ManBearPig and his Hollyweird acolytes.

Save the oxygen!

14. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

Need a math check here.....think I am correct but...
    Diablo Canyon Nuclear plant - generates 17,970GWh of electrical energy annually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant
    The sum total of the generated electrical energy of ALL wind mills (~57000) https://www.awea.org/wind-101/basics-of-wind-energy/wind-facts-at-a-glance is ~22,000 GWh https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=31032

I find the EIA manipulates the truth when they state the CAPACITY of the windmills is over 81000 GWh, but with only 22,000 GWh generated, their capacity factor is around 27%. Nuclear capacity factor is around 90%.

Maybe I should calculate how much coal was used to produce the steel and concrete for those windmills.....

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There is a big difference between capacity and actual output.

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

scottn and blkduc like this.
  17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Now see, that's the kinda thing AOC should be pissed about. That's the govt ACTUALLY paying tax money to a business.

Fusion is the future. That's where everyone should be pushing their money to.

tony 340 likes this.
  18. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Not just any business but tax dollars going to the evil 1%.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The nuke plant I worked at would run 24/7 for 23 months straight then shutdown for 1 month for refueling/maintenance. We were not always at 100% power, sometimes we would reduce output a few percent over a weekend for control rod pattern adjustments so call it 99%. Taking into account other factors the best we did was an average of 94%. That's 94% times 1100 megawatts (or 2200 MW(e)) if you consider we were a 2 unit site. That's a righteous shit ton of power! Our foot print was about 350 acres too.
    Nuclear power isn't perfect, far from it. In comparison to other forms of power, though, it should be a lot more than 20% of the nations' power grid.....by the way, we paid taxes too.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well one of the two 1%. (T.Boone passed away earlier this month).