1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carb cleaning acetone?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mran556, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Got a dirty carb witha lot of varnish.

I soaked it in diesel for 24hrs which didnt do anything. I want something strong sick of screwing around. Will acetone be ok on the brass and aluminum? Any thing else you guys would recommend. Local place doesnt have yamaha carb dip i heard that works well tho.

Got all the rubber and plastic removed too

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Brake cleaner will dissolve the varnish and not harm the metal or rubber.

Acetone isn’t acidic, so it should be fine, as well.

Mran556 likes this.
  3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

IMO you'd be better off waiting a few days from ordering online or try some boating shops which sometimes have it.

Mran556 likes this.
  4. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Pull completely apart, clean all metals with carb cleaner best you can on the bench. Get everything in a ultrasonic for a few rounds.

Mran556 likes this.
  5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Berrymans carb cleaner is available at most auto parts store

Ultrasonic cleaner is best

Mran556 likes this.
  6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

The best carb cleaning product I have used , is a solution of “ original “ Pinesol mixed 50/50 with water ... completely submerge carb and wait 24 hours ... comes out clean and shiny . Will not harm rubber or plastic and is safe to dispose of anywhere .
    Spray with carb cleaner and dry with blast of air ..

7. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

I got pinesol so ill give that a shot. I tried brake cleaner which did nothing. I have some carb cleaner i can try, peoblem is getting enough so it soaks. I dont have a ultra sonic cleaner. May have to order offline i see if ky local place has berrymans. I was just attracted to acetone becouse of the price and its local i pretty strong stuff to but idk if it would strip the carb. Paint thinner id try anything i got a homedepot local so they got a bunch of stuff.

ducnut likes this.
  8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Another vote for ultrasonic. Hot distilled water + dawn dish soap. If you have a harbor freight nearby they might have one in stock.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

unstranded wire for cleaning pilot jets

pfhenry and jasonhise like this.
  10. motoracer1100

Absolutely...NO .. never use wire to clean out fuel or air jets ... See Post # 6 ... Pinesol will dissolve all crud in jets

11. TurboBlew

unstranded copper is soft and there is very little chance of doing any damage to the pilot jet bores.
    I believe motion pro or sudco make a tool specifically for mains & pilots

jasonhise and Killswitch like this.
  12. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

+10 on the pine sol. straight up if its bad. if it thats bad, spend the $20 on pilots and soak the rest. soak for 1-2 days

motoracer1100 likes this.
  13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So the welders tip cleaners I have been using for about 35yrs are a bad idea?? OMG.

Killswitch and pscook like this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t use Berryman’s. That stuff is weaker than many other suggestions mentioned. And, left too long, it’ll discolor the metal and the carb still won’t be clean.

I’ve heard of Pine-Sol being used in an ultrasonic, as mentioned.

15. motoracer1100

Service manuals on my GSXR 1100 , DR650 , CR 500 , couple of R1’s .. etc... all say never use wire to clean out carbs .. Never !! Because it can easily damage them .
    I don’t know , I figured they know more than me . DR 650 manual has that warning 3 times on two pages ??

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They have those cheap ultra sonic cleaners on ebay.

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yep..some folks shouldn't own tools..guess that is why warning labels exist on Preperation H say not to eat it...LOL

ducnut, motoracer1100 and pscook like this.
  18. TurboBlew

I would bet your service manual library also refers to "specific" OEM number'd tools to perform certain jobs. You went out and bought all those... correct? Or did you improvise?? And I hope you were wearing a lab coat while doing any of the procedures desribed in the manuals. :D I would say using the incorrect screwdriver to open the bowl screws poses a much greater risk of damaging the carb vs chasing a small strand of copper wire thru pilot holes.
    Maybe you werent under a deadline to get the work complete or a bike running?
    As @racepro171 said... you can always order the components IF you have unlimited amounts of time to wait on arrival.

jasonhise and ducnut like this.
  19. TurboBlew

The label on PrepH doesnt say anything about using it on wrinkles... yet some folks slather it on their face religiously. Does that make them ass faces? :D

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm going today to get a UltraSonic cleaner for the carbs on the Hawk..FKN CornGas.

ducnut likes this.