1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08-16 r6 vs 17+ in MotoA / WERA / AFM

Discussion in 'General' started by phatbob, Sep 25, 2019.

1. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

Just curious, now that some seasons are over and AFM is almost done.. how many guys in motoA are still using the old R6 (08-16) ? some ? none ? I thought I kept seeing a few this year in the coverage but its hard to tell as they're usually only showing the front guys. In WERA are the old gen still running at the front ? how bout AFM ? Does yama contingency still appy to this gen ?

thx

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Yamaha doesnt pay contingecy on the prev gen R6 anymore. This year it was 2018 or newer.

3. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

well that would explain lots. still tho, anyone running em ?

4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Tons of people still running them. And this past weekend, once you got back to 6th or so, the non-huge money teams, most were in 08-16

TurboBlew, rcarson15 and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

Rules in MA SS 600 class allows for 7 year old models of R6s. So for 2020 you can ride a 2013 or newer model.
    The rules get convoluted with parted bikes from different year models. Mostly the Engine must be fully 2013 or newer in 2020, but older frames or suspension for instance are ok I think, but theres other rules on the mixing of years.
    I do know they DQ'd a guy who had a 2012 or newer engine that had some older, maybe 2008 parts found in it last year.
    So they do check! Sometimes....

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

ya we know you cant use a 'declared 2012 bike' with 2008 stacks ... 2012s gotta be 2012... no double bubbles either (!) and I believe the frame is supposed to be the declared year but not sure if thats still the case.

So whats the 17+ giving besides contingency and its marketing stated 'better aero' ? Or are guys exclusively using it to get yammadollars

7. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

17+ bikes have Auto blip (which does eat up a clutch) and sensors with the electronics package that assist with engine braking (slower to go faster) for instance for different track layout scenarios. The stock motor is strong and reliable enough for being up to speed without needing to do anything to it. Don't even need to dyno anymore.

If you're a Data and analysis type of rider & want to quickly learn a new track, that's the new faster way to get up to speed. Especially having your sector times.

How helpful that information is depends on the person analyzing it and how the rider adjusts to that data next time on track and keep building with that input and actual performance.

Data collected with Lots of studying and learning while not at the track is extremely helpful these days of expensive/limited track time.

The total package value is based on how well its played out on and off the track. This is what the Yamaha top teams in MA are doing to get every ounce of speed they can at every round.
    I'm sure there's more differences since I am only a pit mom who knows enough to be dangerous!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. Few differences like feel of the front with larger forks. In BSB most of the “new” r6 ecu features were useless with a spec ecu. Farmer won the championship in 17 on a 16 bike. Yamaha wasn’t too happy with that. He liked the front feel of the older one better. It had nothing to do with budget as a new one was built and tested.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

right...you can run "in the money" to at least keep racing close to or in the black with the prev gen. Yamaha probably considered that when developing the latest...just enough changes to compel folks to have to move onto the new model

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

if anything, i'd say auto blip will SAVE clutches for some riders if it's dialed in correctly, and can be added to any 06-16 R6. I put the trans logic setup on my 08's. Likely best money i've spent on em in the 10 years i've raced them. If a rider just dumps the clutch with no blip, there's more drag on the clutch stack initially. Some riders would manually blip to match revs, but it takes away from smooth brake application as you flap that arm or twist the wrist to blip..
    Auto blip is matching for you, so those riders that never rev matched, will likely see better clutch wear, AND enjoy being able to concentrate on front brake application more :)

No doubt the add on setup for the older bike requires a LOT of extra wires and little boxes for quick shift and auto blip. The 17+ is all clean as it's done with the ecu (but i THINK you have to pay to unlock this feature). no tiny wires running to each coil, and all the way back to the boxes so there is a benefit to getting the 17+ in that sense.

TurboBlew and Pitmom42 like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Front is much more solid in quick, high speed transistions on the 17+. IMO...love it!

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Hey melk, what did the autoblip cost you to put on? I’m thinking about it for my 16. I have the yec kit box and cut harness. Is there a big process to adding it to the yec

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Nolan Lamkin is likely the best placed rider on the old gen. He got a top 10 at Barber. I’m running one as well, an 08 chassis with all the required updates. I’ll be deciding this off season if I’m building a new one or buying even more parts for mine. Buy new fork carts, that Translogic blipper, more bodywork, and rebuild the engine again... or build a new one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  14. phatbob

phatbob Active Member

i think the blip is easy to add to old gen and can easily be hard wired in and put in the tail (ive done that on mine). to me the only sensors missing are gear position (barrel position sensor NOT calculated gear) and wheel speeds... if one added these (anyone know how) then all Im hearing is the bigger forks and bodywork... nice to see some older gen guys still slayin it ! Anything else im not understanding ?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Nolan, Caleb, Nasseny, and the other dude had a hell of a battle sunday

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im sad I wasn't in it.

17. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

But adding the wheel sensors, etc. To the older gen. Does not mean you have an ECU that know's what to do with them. I only know of the FTECU unit/software that reads these sensors with engine/fuel mapping, wheel speeds, etc. And it only works with 17+ R6's. You would have to use 90 % of a 17+ model electronics to make it work on the older gen. R6
    There may be more out there?

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i had Dave Weaver install em on my 2 bikes.. one has yec box, other is full FTECU software. I honestly don't remember what he charged but a lot of guys are doing the install on their own. was pretty close out of the box but i adjusted the upper rpm range to have more blip duration and increased sensitivity. nice setup, but a lot of wires get ran which is only down side that i see to the new gen that is all done cleanly with just ecu stuff. I'm old school so still use the lever to downshift, but, i never (knock on wood) get false neutrals (i also std shift though too), but i REALLY REALLY like being able to just concentrate on front brake pressure 100%, no blip manually..

Christian Miranda, FL based rider who rides Pirelli tires normally, and had never been to Barber... Max Angles is FL rider as well, but crashed out in race 2 but was flyin to that point.

drop and Odilup like this.
  19. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Watch out for Miranda. That boy is gonna be another Mesa.

20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

It was exciting to watch. Air time worthy for sure.