1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twins Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually wanted to go this year on the way to Nelson but just no time.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fanny pack.

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I raced my Grom and when I placed high enough Honda sent me a Visa card that I could spend anywhere I wanted. Therefore, I was a professional Grom racer. :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NASCAR. MotoGP. WSB. Pretty much all racing.

Thing is it is all racing worldwide that runs the same way. At all levels.

5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Bring alcohol and tobacco back! And toss weed in too.

track wagon and Metalhead like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Local dirt track can do that as the track is the promoter. When you have to rent a track you get none of the income from signage, you get nothing from the food/beer sales, you get part of the gate, you don't have the same access or ability to build local sponsors and so on.

We could shrink WERA to just the southeast and actually do a ton of things different. We could go to one track and holy shit different. If we owned the track and didn't have to pay rental it'd be another step up in things we could do. It's much much much tougher when you've got things across the nation and everyone has their hand in your pocket.

ducnut and turner38 like this.
  7. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Question/observation: USPSA (practical shooting) acts more as an umbrella organization, local clubs affiliate and agree to a certain per shooter dues arrangement and to abide by a common rules package. The country is divided up into regional areas that host championships at that level, plus a national championship. Additionally there are special "major matches" which are sort of one off invitational type things. The nationally competitive guys travel around to the major matches, including various regional championship matches, and obviously go to nationals. While the local folks can just shoot matches near them. I have too many hobbies to travel around shooting so I shoot locals, but I enjoy the fact that I've shot with national champions and can then see very roughly how I stack up on a national level.

Would a similar arrangement work for club road racing?

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Only club racers wear fanny packs. A pro racer would have a utility belt. With grappling hooks.

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Not it the middle of live racing, I agree. That would only be during the playback.

Live races could have ads before and after the races.

Playback could have ads before and after the race, and an ad at the halfway mark.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    The Great One likes this.
  10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Commercials before and after. Hell ford advertised for a couple weekends on live plus. And I’m surprised as to how many times Huey tells us to buy the motion pro tool, that there isn’t one in every household.

We DO need commercials on live+. My opinion is, is if it’s on live + it benefits motoamerica directly. Where as if the commercial is being played during the fs2 section, fs2 is benefiting.

And saying you won’t buy the package if they advertise is doing exactly opposite of what any series needs.

lopitt85 likes this.
  11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I agree. I edited my post above to be more clear.

I think live races can have ads before and after the race.

When watching the playbacks it can be before and after the races, and an ad the halfway mark.

At $80 bucks it's a great deal to the viewer but not a revenue boom to MotoAmerica. But if MotoAmerica can bring in some good revenue from ads on the Live+ it helps to make them stable longterm, which is great for me as the consumer.

drop likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

AMA has been trying to do that for decades more officially and we've tried for as long or longer behind the scenes and there's just no way to get all the clubs to agree on rules/procedures. Kind of sad. Now we do work with other clubs as much as possible and have even let them use our rulebook. It's helped some but nothing consistent.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could also sell banner ads that could run next to/over/under the coverage. Also sponsorship of the results ticker and so on.

r6boater and drop like this.
  14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Its such a brutal game though to chase every sponsor/ad/banner dollar and maximize every placement - then turn around and report the ROI (with pos spin no matter what happened) and remake the deals over and over. Without the manufacturers pouring money into the show, that makes that sell exponentially harder. The companies who's sandbox it is aren't showing...that would tell me more as a potential sponsor than most any sales pitch. I just wish one manufacturer would go all in similar to how Mazda helped save road racing in the US with manufacturer dollars providing a competitive ladder to pro racing.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One thing direct from Marlboros ad peeps with regard to factories when we talked to them in the early 90's was they couldn't see sponsoring us if the OEMs weren't sponsoring us. Us being the series and the teams - and they didn't care about contingency or even the support from OEMs that teams like Hammer and others had. They wanted full on factory support of the series/teams, they figured if it wasn't good enough for the industry to support it they weren't going to spend their money on it either.

We'd have been happy with just the money they spent on a private chopper from Manhattan to Pocono :eek:

Phl218 and Chino52405 like this.
  16. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Can we get back to Twins Cup and forget about all this nonsense talk? Thread was more entertaining then. :D

swiest152 and MachineR1 like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

@ Steeltoe...
    [​IMG]

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I want you to get back to figuring out how I can trade a 2014 Tahoe straight up for the white Expedition Max 4x4 you've got :crackup:

Kris87 likes this.
  19. seroj

seroj Well-Known Member

To the OP, I don't care what label you or other people put on the twins racers, but running 32s at Barber on a twins cup bike is smokin! Carry on with your bad self.

- from a slow AHRMA club racer

ducnut, Gino230 and r6boater like this.
  20. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

No thanks. I've watched pretty much every race since motoamerica began and would not subscribe again if they played commercials in the middle of a race, even on playback. If that means I'm not helping the series than so be it. I pay to be able to watch the races uninterrupted. If I wanted commercials I'd watch on Fox sports. I already think the superbike coverage is worse than it was on BeIn but no one else seams to believe that so I guess I'm on my own.

badmoon692008 likes this.