1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RRW.com Redesign

Discussion in 'General' started by Mot Okstef, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure that's a temp thing due to going to the new site.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Without knowing what challenges they were trying to solve (aggregation, social extension, organic search, etc), it's hard to really judge to all the elements of the rebuild. Design wise though...looks like a heavy handed turd.

3. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Nothing is causing confusion. It's the UI layout that changed that causes more navigation and scrolling to get to the same information that was on a single page prior to the redesign. Hence the comments that it's not very user friendly. Now it's a pain in the ass to read the articles and the new site is really slow on my tablet. Now when you click on an article you have to scroll, scroll, scroll to get to the results as there is so much header and banner space taking up the majority of the page before you can even get to the meat of the article. As I stated earlier, anyone worth their salt in UI design knows scrolling is bad and makes the user lose interest quickly and go to another, better designed site to view what they are looking for.

I also noticed they were making changes over the weekend as each time I would go to the site it looked different. At one point on my phone the whole page was taken up with the top banner and an ad and you had to scroll past all that crap to even see the results. Then in the Racing section the article titles were in black font over the picture associated with the article. It appears they are still making updates and so far they have been for the better and have fixed some of the issues I mentioned above. But it's still a lot more scrolling and navigation to get to the same content that was on a single page on the old site.

Overall it's a downgrade IMO and slower loading. That's why I asked @John29 what the motivation was for the redesign. If y'all like it that's great. I'm just not a big fan of the redesign and have definitely been checking the site less now and using other sources to get the results and info from the weekend.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    VFR#52 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like the issues are on your end. Sucks to be you and your tablet I guess. Working great on my devices.

5. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Yep,went back again and it goes back like 10 years now.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The bastards, how dare they!

I'm on a flipping roll with slaying myself tonight :crackup:

7. Jeff McKinney

Only go back 10 yrs? I'm ok with it,count 1 happy customer,lol.

8. Jeff McKinney

Of course I would love to see some of the stuff again JU did for Cycle and Cycle World.He could do a compilation and sell 2 copies.Me and 1 other guy out there who's old enough to remember.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Isn't it time for the drag racing article to be reposted somewhere?

10. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

That was a CBX if I recall.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

i’m pretty sure he’s talking about the Harley.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I think it was a Kawi... :crackup:

13. intrcptrrdr

Arrgghh, I know it had two wheels at least...

edited to add:
    A brief Google search reveals that it was (maybe) a Top Fuel xs1100 (Yamaha). cira early 80s

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, Top Fuel for sure.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO theres too much whitespace on the new layout. I think adding an excerpt under each article title would be enough to fix it.

this news website uses space more efficiently IMO. https://www.apnews.com

16. intrcptrrdr