1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twins Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, Sep 25, 2019.

1. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

You guys hatred to the twins cup is irrelevant unless you grid up personally. Several of the club racers that are taking the leap and testing their skills to the very best twins riders that this country has to offer are very overwhelmed in their first outing. Just the shock in their faces is awesome and I'm happy to be there just to ask "dude, you having fun?", the shit eating grin tells the whole story. Even for those who have crashed or maybe I've made a close pass, I try and find them to ask if all is ok. But the fact at a club race, you dont realize how important tire pressures, suspension adjustments and strategies come into play until you're searching for seconds or even tenths in a lap time to qualify for the first few rows. Fitness, hydration, suit, helmet and even how your gloves fit, this isn't club racing anymore...

Most of money is spent on the bike and safety equipment before any form of pit setup is thought about. Sure we still look like club racers with or plots for the weekend, but it's ok as long as we are a part of the show. Were there living the dream while others sit at home and bark at the flicker box for whatever stupid reason their drunk minds can create. We are going broke just to entertain you and when you belittle the things that aren't important to us, it does effect our attitudes especially when we have to read it in a bully form on any form of social media.

So if you still think that the Twins Cup is still a form of club racing, I challenge you to come join us and see where you stand and In just one race, I can guarantee you, it will change your outlook on the class forever.

With all that said and to see where you stand right now, my fastest of the weekend at Barber was a 1:31.9 and we did consistantly 32's in the race. My question is, how does this compare to you at Barber? Or..., on a non-repaved track like Road Atlanta where I did a mid 35 on an SV650?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Considering all of the front runners other than Barney run club races I'm not sure you're making a viable point :crackup:

stk0308 and rcarson15 like this.
  3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

"Hey, DORNA, if you're listening, I think y'all run a glorified club racing organization. Y'all got a customer Yamaha M1 I can race at Phillip Island to prove you wrong?"

5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

This should be interesting.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gonna be even funnier to see how many of them show for the club racing at the end of next month.

badmoon692008, Phl218 and rcarson15 like this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

With $1000 Suzuki contingency for winning the AMA LWSB race, there will be quite a few.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly. Along with Suzuki money in the National class and I believe even in the Sportsman one as well. I also expect Rocco to show unless he's overseas that weekend.

Shenanigans likes this.
  9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

$2k for LWSS (GNF)!

t11ravis likes this.
  10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Pffft...I did a 38 there on a 78hp SS spec SV like a decade ago....35's ain't shit. :D

Congrats on a helluva season. Always enjoy watching you ride!

No Brakes likes this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There was at least one guy on the twins cup grid that has won National ASRA TC and ASRA Sprint championships that was typically not even breaking the top 10 in Twins Cup. While it was more of a two guys in a pickup truck level of effort than an all out run for the front, it still shows how much professional commitment is required. That sounds like a step up from club racing to me.

As to MotoAmerica riders showing up at club racing events, that happens all the way up to SBK and has for years, so that isn't exclusive to the Twins class or anything new.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Until a twins racer shows up with a semi with paid mechanics and suspension techs, they can’t really talk about being anything other than a club racer.

It’s not just this forum, go ask any paid member of a factory team about the Twins cup and they say the same thing as you hear on the beeb. They look at that class as a bunch of older shitbox bikes ridden by older club racers. A twins racer walked up to a factory rig at Monterey and asked if they had a seat for his bike. He said he needed it to pass tech. Hahaha. That guy gridded up and he is nothing more than a club racer so just gridding up is a pretty low bar to clear.

All that said, I love The Twins class so good luck next year CP. Who cares how you’re perceived, have fun and keep doing your thing. We raced karts at the Long Beach GP in the 70’s and nobody cared if we were just hobby kart racers.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. ghetto customs

The superbike teams go to track days to practice so are they trackday guys going pro racing? I like to go to WERA events to race and practice plus see folks I dont see often...

Yet this is only the sophomore year for the Twins Cup, how long does it take for it to be a legitimate class? Just curious as I'll race it for as long as I can. Is it ok that I come and race the GNF to maybe earn some extra cash?

14. ghetto customs

By this, you are calling Max Flinders a club racer. Noted...

And if I show up on 1000 to race superbike, I'm a club racer also, noted.

So this whole club racer deal doesn't particularly pertain to Twins, got it!

rugbymook and drop like this.
  15. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

So Team Hammer didn't have that this year with Alex Dumas and Joe Blasius?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, just shows WERA Twins racers are faster :crackup:

I'm not talking about MA riders showing up on occasion - I'm talking guys that regularly did and do run WERA events (or CCS or AFM or whoever). JC and Twins are full of riders that do both if they have the budget.

Doesn't mean they're not professional in their setups or abilities. But there is a very very strong case for them being pro/am riders not full pros. The entire pissing match is just silly overall though. There isn't enough money out there in sponsorship to have a fully pro series in the US. It is pro/am and will be pro/am unless something changes drastically.

E Reed likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How long has the 1000SS class been running? It's pro/am too really. So the answer is - forever.

If MA Twins is full on professional why would you need to come to the GNF to earn money? ;)

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly! It's not about just twins at all. Hell, I point and laugh at the riders who do a one or two off MA race and then spend the next few seasons with the MA plates on their bikes barely getting halfway up one of our normal club race grids. More power to them for going after it and having fun - but to keep pretending later is kind of silly.

19. ghetto customs

Pretenders, noted.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some are, others aren't. Dave Anthony and Brad Ward show looking to earn money to support their racing effort, not pretending. In all reality you do the same thing. Doesn't change that overall most of the series truly is pro/am - and what's truly funny to me at least is it's been like that for a long long time and there isn't a damn thing wrong with it. Most national level series are pro/am in all reality. It's part of the deal, you need to have people filling grids, you need to have classes filling the day, all of it is to entertain the fans.

Nick_OMC likes this.