1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ugh boss got busy and wants to talk tomorrow morning but I’ve got the flying flexibility surrounded so I think I should be good to go.

I bet that yak was fun. On a completely different note ,I’m dying to get into an aviat husky someday

2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Damn, I get airsick just looking at that thing!

BigBird likes this.
  3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

My experience is a little different, there are lots of good career type Air Force pilots. There are also lots of part time guys that come around a whole lot more when the economy sucks.

Todd Green. I even happened to take a photo of his fall from about a quarter mile away.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It was good, I've had a couple informal lessons before this, I was able to take off, do steep turns, slow flight, a couple stalls, and land it. Piper Cherokee today, they're really docile, Cessna's before this and they certainly feel different.

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Travis, the best advice I can give you is to not waste any time at all. Don't screw around trying to build hours, bike the bullet and get your CFI, get hired at a big school like S3 in Sanford or similar, where the instructors are flying their brains out. Get your 1500 in 8-10 months and skip the regionals, go straight to Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit, etc.

As others have said, the idea is to get on the seniority list as soon as possible, you can still be on the front side of the latest hiring wave.

As for some of the comments about the career, there are so many different options, you can find something you like. I never thought I'd be flying the 737 3 legs a day for the rest of my career, but I have found that I like it. Once a week or so I do a transcon, so I get my 5 hour leg in. Plus I still get to do all the takeoffs and landings I want and I don't have to fly backside of the clock much. As I've gotten older, I'm glad I don't have to cross more than 4 time zones, the layovers sound fun, but that shit wears me out. The key is to get some experience, and with the coming growth in aviation, you will be able to write your own ticket. I truly believe that. Some of the options are not for the faint of heart, though (flying in Africa, etc.)

The impact on family life has a lot more to do with what job you have and who you are married to than "the industry." I'm gone 3 days a week. Not for everyone but it works well for my wife and I.

You can stop worrying about single pilot airliners and pilotless airplanes. The FAA and the maufacturers are just not ready for that. One look at the MAX debacle should tell you that. I'm sure it will happen someday, but not going to affect our careers.

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

A little off topic: For you pilots that have been exposed to the Runway Status Lights system what do you think of it? That program kept alot of us busy for 10 years but ended early 2018 once all the sites were deployed

7. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I like it a lot, definitely a great tool to close some of the holes in the Swiss cheese. It sure gets your attention when they light up....

Photo likes this.
  8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info
    We worked with the Rockwell TCAS for cockpit alerting using the ASDE-X system but it didn't get enough traction to turn into a program. RWSL was our only project that the pilots had first hand exposure to. ASDE-X and ASSC are installed for controller situational awareness.
    We're now working on a prototype for signage alerts at critical intersections.

9. Steak Travis

Got a pay raise, company car and the boss said I want you to get your commercial license. Maybe i should be in sales

Pretty Good Friday

noles19, Gino230, HPPT and 11 others like this.
  10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What is your current position?

11. Steak Travis

Outside sales in the steel industry. If anyone needs some welded wire mesh let me know. Prices are in the gutter

speedluvn likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Awesome! I’m happy for you.

Steak Travis likes this.
  13. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

That’s cool. Now get those ratings!

Jay

14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Can you can or quilt with this ? If so, I know a guy.

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Fuck the system! Go fly jets.

I’m sure there’s an opening at Atlas (gub’ment contractor/charter airline). I know this because someone I know was coming back from Afghanistan earlier this week. He was scheduled to arrived Tuesday night, but the FO for the Germany to USA leg said “FUCK THIS SHIT” and walked out of the jet while everyone was boarding.

So yeah, drive your company car to flight school with that extra pay.

Steak Travis likes this.
  16. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

17. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Probably took me an hour to get through it but it was interesting. I watch all kinds of videos and shows about crashes and it’s always amazing how a pilot can miss such a simple thing. In the second crash all they had to do was pull back on the throttle and they would have been fine, how do your eyes miss information as important as your airspeed in that situation? Even when they hit the ground at 600 mph they never lifted, crazy.

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well, Well, Well. What do you know? Now that a more complete picture is coming out, it turns out that there's more to the story.

https://www.apnews.com/26193e086499406da6ee94176ef5e0b2

Gotta love the irony of the NY Times- they played a huge role in jumping to conclusions that the MAX was unsafe, and now their own article refutes it. So they still get to claim to be bringing truth to the world, whatever that means.

Meanwhile Boeing and the airlines have lost billions.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What does that prove as far as the design of the aircraft is concerned? :confused: New York Times didn't ground it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  20. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Plus the pilots have filed a suit claiming $100 million in lost wages.