1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Youre good people, Greg. You just have a roundabout way of things.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

If that is the case, I'd like to use that dyno to measure my bike's horsepower. Let's just say I think that number is a bit optimistic.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

That seems like a pretty realistic number for that Ape depending on how much he leaned on it.

stk0308, zrx12man and 5axis like this.
  4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

They were also using that rocket fuel back then too

stk0308 and YamahaRick like this.
  5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I miss real race bikes. I rode a Honda RS250 and it was sublime.

6. A. Barrister

We all used rocket fuel back then.

7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Air density meters, changing jets every session, changing gearing every other session, constantly stinking of fuel, seizures, bump starts.....

I think I'll stick with my R6, thank you.

ducnut likes this.
  8. A. Barrister

One weekend at Road America, I had my bike on the Factory dyno (with Marc Salvisberg running it) after the Stargel Aprilia. While they had more power than I did, I can assure you it was no place close to the 110 rwhp being claimed earlier in this thread.

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That's cause' it's a mustang dyno. I had Sorenson's old bike on the same Dyno earlier this year and it was in the low 70's. Engine was in a reasonable state of tune at the time, not too radical. A very good 600 will barely crack 110 on that thing.

10. turner38

Road America huh? Three REALLY long straights.... You really think Rocky was squeezing it the same there as it would see at Barber? Then again like Pat said, Mustang dyno always reads low.

That was before our time but 110 is not a unreasonable number for a well tuned Ape.
    What has always puzzled me is what in the hell Oliver had that was faster based on a Yamaha.

11. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

His traction control setup aka right wrist that was wired to the pucker factor squared

ducnut, YamahaRick and Gino230 like this.
  12. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

I have no idea what Rich's RWHP might have been, but I know that his TZ's were unbelievably peaky.

13. turner38

Yeah, Rich did a hell of a job but to go that fast it made a hell of a lot of power also.
    JMO

14. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

A really good RS125 would make 50-52RWHP. It's not that hard to believe that a really good 250 would make over 100.

15. turner38

We had a REALLY good RS125 that could draft past Nobi’s Aprilia at Road Atlanta and I don’t think it made anywhere near that.
    Maybe 43-45.

zrx12man likes this.
  16. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

If you want to see a 250 that does make 110hp, take a look at 250 super karts. They have been in that area for about 10 years now and are probably a bit further north on the power curve by now.

Granted, they are not cheap, but if you wanna fly, you gotta buy !!!!

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There were rumors that his TZ made 100 hp for the RRW 250/50 races, but his motor was only good for 20 laps.

18. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

That dyno musta been made of straight up peyote.
    The owner/tuner of that machine is one of my better friends. We have discussed that bike many, many times and he has never said 110 horsepower.

A. Barrister likes this.
  19. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

But hey! Internet....

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

In the early 2000’s (2003?), at Mid-O, Chuck told me ~95rwhp out of the bike he had there.