1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small trailer tires...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Jun 5, 2019.

1. sdgers

sdgers Well-Known Member

Find them yet?
    Simpletire dot com
    https://simpletire.com/maxxis-225-75r15-tl15710000-tires

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Fenders are a federal mandate, so you’ll need them.

Maxxis has 13” and 14” sizes. Some of the bias-ply stuff is really narrow, though, so you’re kind of limited if that’s what you have. If that’s your setup, then, just buy new tire/rim combos off the shelf and keep the others for spares.

I had a 5’X8’ with bias-plies on it. I went to the the local farm store and bought a premounted tire and rim for a spare. When not in use, it’s easy enough to just remove them for storage and leave the trailer on blocks. I pulled that thing all over central and southeast USA, without problems. I kept the tires inflated to their maximum and kept my speeds below 65mph.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Your post wasn't clear to me. I understood it as going to 10 ply and then further going to 18" with the 10 ply.
    Either way, same ply/different diameter or same diameter/different ply...you will notice a difference in any harshness.

We're communicating from two different orchards...
    Consider your truck weighs at least 7000lbs empty. My needs are for a half-loaded, sub-2000lb, tandem axle trailer weighing half as much. Es for me are overkill and unnecessary harshness, regardless of profile. To exaggerate my point, let's say a commercial G rated tire would be even better for your application than an E. Would you then say I need G tires, too?

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So if you currently are running 205’s any reason you shouldn’t run 225’s to get the 10 ply?

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Inner wheelwell clearance can be a minor issue, so be sure and have a look.