1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique my riding please...long post

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's kind of hard to tell because we can't see what you're doing with the controls. Seems like you're putting the bike in the right spot on the track, so that is good. Bike placement is critical.

Once you get the apexes down, you can work on getting your entry speeds up, which IMO is the hardest part about going fast. You will need to build confidence getting in deeper, braking hard, then trail braking into the corner.

Keep up the good work. And don't listen to some of these guys and their smart assed comments on here- half of them haven't raced in years, if ever.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Also, I would make a list of the top 5 things you want to work on before going to the track. Keep this list handy and stay focused on what you are working on. It's easy to get distracted, especially if riding with buddies or trying to keep up with others- but you'll improve more quickly by staying focused on what you're working on.

One thing at a time.

One corner at a time.

lopitt85 likes this.
  3. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I think the best GoPro view is on the tank looking forward with a view of your brake/throttle. You get good info re your input in relation to corner entry and exit.
    A second camera looking at the front tire and fork gives you good input how hard you are entering and how smooth you are on the controls.

From my couch, it seems you have found a good comfortable pace around the full course. It’s not the easiest course to learn to go fast on as it is so long. Better work on the north course first if you are looking to improve your lap times.

Consistency is the key. If you can nail the same downshifts lap after lap going into a corner, you can work from there applying the throttle earlier. Pick one or two corners like T6 or T7 on the north course where you practice your trail braking. This is not a late braking technique but rather setting the chassis up to turn faster.

As for faster corner entry, a good intermediate step is to roll off at your normal point, that reduces your survival reaction and pucker factor, BUT wait a fraction longer getting on the brakes. Once you realize how much later you can brake, moving your throttle off point becomes easier.

What group are you riding in?

4. Nine29

Nine29 Well-Known Member

Follow someone faster...that way you'll learn how much later you can brake and how much sooner you can drive out.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Imma get blasted.... :oops:
    Going fast, faster, & faster is one thing. Surviving it is another.
    Learn/feel/understand the F-Brake.
    Learn/feel/understand the front tire.
    Learn/feel/understand the throttle.
    Learn/feel/understand the rear tire.
    Become one w/ the bike.
    Good luck, and don't overthink it.....yet

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Post the vid of your first race. Win or lose, THAT will impress me.

JBall and SpeedyE like this.
  7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Do not.....DO NOT ever ask for internet coaching.

Ken

cav115, Pitmom42, MurfSVR and 7 others like this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And podcasts are what? :Poke:
    :D

Chino52405, MachineR1, Bruce and 3 others like this.
  9. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

All I can say is learn to use your eyes and focus first...

Coming off a crash, and doing my first race in a while I saw my lap times improve as I started scanning the track more and using my eyes... it’s crazy how well that works... to quote Ken, I think it’s the first order of things in fundamentals.

10. SpeedyE

How did anyone get Fast(er) before internet, TD's, coaching, schools, graphs/charts, etc?
    How did anyone figure it out on their own?
    Just a question.

JBall likes this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think I saw that course on Zwift. :crackup::Poke:

12. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Touche and deserved!.....but from what I would hope to from a credible source within proven methodology and results...My quick raw reaction was the frustration of having to due to undue internet coaching at half the training days I do.

The podcasts are built around my overall methodology and techniques, communicated in a general fashion. Not individualized. The OP wants individualization...

Pitmom42 and FourThreeSix like this.
  13. SpeedyE

Imagine a day, a time in the near future, when some financed grade school children, 1st graders, will come to school with their own individual PHD assistant, who sits next to them in class, and explains everything to them. Spoon feeds it to them, without them ever having to 'think' and struggle and experiment.
    School of Hard Knocks had created many a Fast racer, many a Champion(s). Sink or swim....if you swim good, get additional help....YOU DESERVE IT.
    If you drown, you never were gonna make it anyways.
    The days of personal pride of figuring it out yourself, however fast or slow that is, are long gone.
    Welcome to Gatica.

turner38 likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Holy moly, this group sure is a lively bunch.

Ken- I think I understand your reservations to some random internet coaching. There can be a lot of..."stuff" thrown out that may not be in your best interest. I try to be smart about any advice, thinking about if it makes sense for me and taking small steps forward to feel it out. Also, I really enjoy your podcasts.

tzrider, stangmx13 and fastfreddie- I was trying to focus on being smooth and not upsetting the chassis like I was before, so I never really got aggressive on the throttle. Smooth and consistent so that once I started rolling on I didn't chop it. Most of those corners I was exiting in 2nd. More aggressive (but still smooth) roll on will happen in small increments.

There were a few other times that I hung on to a gear too long as well. I'll try to keep working on that.

Another thing I noticed I had to actively counter was me wanting to turn in too early. I was much better by day 3, but that will be a continued focus moving forward.

15. lopitt85

Sabre699 said:
    I can't seen to get the video out of slow motion.

This actually made me lol...

And the one below yours about the turtle pussy :bow:

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. lopitt85

Absolutley. This will continue to be a part of my toolbag. Have a hard plan on what to work on and stick to it.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. lopitt85

I like this as a step forward towards braking later. And eventually I would like to take basically a whole trackday with the single focus of getting comfortable with later braking.

This is about my 3rd or 4th trackday in intermediate since getting bumped from novice.

18. lopitt85

I've recalibrated my plan. If all goes well and I feel I'm ready, I plan to do my first race next season. Even if the let me video it, I don't know how impressive it'll be :crackup:

19. SpeedyE

[​IMG]

20. lopitt85

I can try and post up the same footage from my front mounted camera tomorrow if that view would be better