1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 13 | Misano | Italy | Sep 13-15

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Back then it was pretty much Honda vs Yamaha, now there are multiple teams winning.

2. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

:D

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I knew you worked for Pirelli at the end of your career, did you work MotoGP for Michelin or Bridgestone during the tire war years?

4. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s much to really suggest talent or the competition is so much better now

BigBird likes this.
  5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The argument ain’t about what they think he should do my friend. The argument is really about finding whatever data points they can point at to prove their hero is better “objectively” by constantly changing the goal posts. Whatever goal post Marc passes, they’ll invent some new ones to prove that their guy is better. It’s just tribalism. Red tie blue tie nonsense. This argument is just like the fucking stupid nonsense I also read that “Marc sux because his bike has computers!” Give me a break. So does every other fucking bike and they’re all still losing to Marc.

Marc is going to break every single record except for total GP titles and total GP wins. Total premier class wins and titles will all be held by him before long. I don’t like to admit it either, but it looks inevitable. I personally don’t think he’ll stick around as long as Valentino has. Valentino in my mind is the GOAT because of his total impact on the sport not just his on track success. He’s in the same realm as Tiger Woods, Michael Jackson, Oprah or Lance pre-2012. As good as Marc is he will never have the charisma or lucky timing to capture the cultural zeitgeist the way Rossi has.

gy999r, Chino52405, Spang308 and 5 others like this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hi Rob
    On a separate note I found out about cheater tires at the GNF back in the late 80s. And I started at Pirelli in 94 but I never worked for the other guys. But the tire industry is small so there's really no secrets.

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Sure about that? Didn’t Michelin have a machine they brought to the race track to make tires that was behind armed security? I’d say that’s pretty secretive ;)

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If people knew about it, it really wasn't much of a secret.

9. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

20190916_075453.png

Phl218, 418 and Shocker like this.
  10. Quicktoy

I meant the technology in it ;)

R Acree likes this.
  11. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

For some, the only way they can enjoy their guy is to tear down the other guy. Appreciating the talent isn't enough, the talent must be the exclusive property of their chosen hero.

Laz, crashman and cpettit like this.
  12. Quicktoy

I just don’t get it. I love Motogp. I love Rossi. I love Marquez. They box themselves in.

Laz and BigBird like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They would make the tires in France the night before and fly them in.

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Of course they were, no one denies that. Not every team received them. What was never discussed was if it was because the lesser teams couldn't afford it or they weren't offered.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Same. Don't take for granted we are watching two of the greatest to ever swing a leg over a bike compete head to head, even if one of them is past their prime. I have to admit I root for the old man to win, but I enjoy the battles between Marc and Dovi and Quatro Puta has been incredible to watch too. Hoping he gets on the top step soon.

16. Quicktoy

I thought at one point they built a machine to bring track side to make them.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Might have but they used to call the tires something like Saturday Night specials among other names.

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they flew them in overnight at first and then went to the machine on site. The end.

19. Quicktoy

Ahhhh. Ok. Makes more sense. Was a little of both worlds. Hey Pirelli guy. How come you didn’t know that secret ;)

20. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Everyone knew that was happening, it was widely reported in many places, including John’s World.

Quicktoy likes this.