1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Tiger 1200

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Anyone got firsthand experience with the 18 and newer models? I’m thinking about a XRT. Never owned an ADV/Touring bike before, or a Triumph. What’s the good and the bad?

Primary use for me would be medium to long range touring. I take a couple 1-3k trips a year and my 2001 Road King is just beating the hell out of me at this point. My touring buddy came off of a 2012 Street Glide to a Multi and he wouldn’t shut up about how much less fatigued he was on our last trip.

I’m not interested in a Wing or any other full touring bike, nor really a sport tourer. I’m going to Utah next year and I want to hit the fire roads and such.

2. Multistrada.

[/thread]

I know it has nothing to do with your post; I just wanted to be the first one to post Multistrada. :D

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’re as bad as Doyle. Just buy a fucking bike and ride the damn thing! :p

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I haven't ridden the 1200, but I had a chance to try the 800. Ergonomics are pretty decent, and I really wanted to like the bike, but I felt like the ride by wire throttle left the engine response feeling really disconnected. Even the 800 feels pretty top-heavy and ungainly at slow speeds, even though I can flat foot at a stop. It just didn't feel that fun, though perhaps the extra horsepower of the 1200 would make a difference.

5. Scotty87

Jesus. I fucking am. :oops:

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d suggest riding everything, in the mid- and open-displacement categories; I wouldn’t hone in on just one bike. They all have such different characteristics, with every aspect.

I’ve had one or two Triumphs in my garage, since 2006, and have never had any issues. Currently, I have a ‘15 800XCx and it is the best all-around bike I’ve ever owned. It replaced a ‘09 Tiger 1050. I had ‘06 Daytona 675, as well.

I’m not a fan of the weight of the Explorer. Lighter weight and electronic cruise control are two of the reasons I traded my 1050. Plus, I love Triumph’s “small block” engines, as they’re rev-happy and smooth like butter. The bigger engines are much more coarse in their vibrations. However, they pull like a locomotive. The two big attractions of the Explorer, from owners I’ve talked to, are shaft-drive and better passenger accommodations, over the 800. But, again, the 1200 is heavy.

You just gotta’ go ride stuff and figure out what pushes the most buttons for YOU (and your pillion).

7. Scotty87

No pillion for me on the long trips, and well, I’m coming from an 800 pound H-D so the weight of the Triumph isn’t really a concern. :D

Does the 1200 Tiger have the cruise control also? I hadn’t seen that. That would be sweet indeed.

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I had a 13 and liked it a lot. Yes they have cruise. They are definitely more oriented to street use than most of the other big bikes but that’s all I used it for.

9. Scotty87

That’s where I’d be at too. 98% street, 2% fire roads. :crackup:

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, the weight of the Explorer is up top, which you’ll feel and can be cumbersome. The BMW GS feels a lot less so, as far as big bikes.

As confirmed, cruise comes on the Explorer and only on the XCa/XCx/XRt/XRx in the 800’s.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I have an older model ('12) and havent been keeping up on them so I can't help ya other than I still enjoy riding mine, it is comfy ergos wise and it's never let me down or stranded out while riding.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

What he said as far as my 800 goes. The big selling point for me with the Tex over the 800 is the shaft drive. But I can buy a lot of chain and sprocket sets for the upcharge. Both are great all around Swiss Army knife bikes with Honda level quality and reliability.

ducnut likes this.
  13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

TriumphTiger 800 XC.

Or you can buy my 2010 KTM 990R . . . I'm practically giving it away.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,

Dave

K51000 likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

damn dude...you need to just buy a bike at this point, stop tickling yourself and just do it :Poke: :D

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Regardless of the bike you get, make sure it has sufficient luggage for your journey:D

[​IMG]

83BSA and BigBird like this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:eek: Wow...that's some stupid shit right there.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

looks pretty photoshopped

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yup...no shadows.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You know as soon as he does, he’ll be asking us if he should put his left glove on before his right glove, and does he put his visor down with his right hand after engaging the transmission or with his left hand before he pulls the clutch.

He might make it out of the driveway by 2023. :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

They are flat amazing. Period.

If You’re interested, fly in and ride it home. Happy to pick you up from airport.

Give my guy Shane a call. 850-456-0354 he will take care of you. I promise.

XFBO, Scotty87 and ducnut like this.