1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Failure (I think)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kev59, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Over the last 30 years I've dealt with worn & slipping clutches but never an instant, total failure; until this past Sunday. Two weeks ago I had three pretty good starts at Talladega. Went out for practice this past Sunday at Road Atlanta. Everything was fine until halfway down the back straight. It just quite pulling. Coasted to a stop in gear, clutch out. Shifts fine, engine sounds and behaves as it should. I didn't notice any slipping until it quite altogether. I haven't had a chance to inspect anything yet but seems odd to fail completely. Thoughts? It's a Triumph Daytona 675.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

There is a chance that a fiber plate delaminated, so I would suggest pulling the cover and looking for debris. Even if a plate didn't disintegrate, you will discover a lot more about the clutch during an inspection.

3. Jclilwizz

Jclilwizz New Member

Just had the same thing the 07 gsxr600 I just got and have only been on 3 times fires iup goes into gear then as I'm going down the blockclutxh just goes out, no slepping or signs of a problem just gone

4. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

If it's a cable system make sure there is some play at the lever.If it' hydraulic make sure the master is not over filled.
    Either one will make your clutch slip and might of also damaged your plates

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The only time anything like this happened to me (was on my 07 GSXR 600) was the inner clutch basket center nut came loose and 1/2 backed out. Fortunately it didn't spin all the way loose and lock everything up. Was immediately evident what it was when I disassembled....not saying that's what it is for sure, but something to look for.

6. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Is the chain still on?

7. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Cable & lever are as normal as can be.

8. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This is my suspicion. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

9. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This was my first thought. I was bent over looking at the chain when the cornerworker got to me. I believe he thought I was hurt at first!

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was stupid and didn't replace the center hub nut with a new one after a disassembled the clutch. The tab that you peen down was weakened and worked loose. The service manual says to peen down in just one spot. Now I get a fresh nut and peen it in 2 spot for good measure.

x2

[​IMG]

11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Have you taken the cover off to see if the clutch is engaging/disengaging when you pull the lever? That's what I would do first to eliminate that part of the system. If it appears to be operating normally, then you can move on to seeing if it's the basket or plates. It could be anything from grooved basket fingers hanging a plate up, to a bad plate or springs. Hopefully it's not in the action assembly. I had a keeper ring pull through the side of the case once during an endurance race...

12. Clutch basket nut? Engine builder didn’t tighten it correctly and just shifting into 6th on a built 750 at Daytona and rear wheel locked up. Most scared I’ve ever been on a bike after grazing the wall then heading down nascar t2 exit being split by 2 riders. Skidded all the way until the tire blew and somehow didn’t crash. I was frozen when the marshalls got there. That one shook me up quite a bit.