1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pex infloor heat question - concrete

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Sep 5, 2019.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
    I will plan on putting it in using 12" centers also

2. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I used 3/4” on 18” centers.

30x30 garage. Something like 2 loops of 150’ each.

It’s think it’s around 16 gallons of water in the tubing.

Heated by an on demand propane box.

I went open loop as I installed a sink and hose bib for washing cars.

I still consider it non-potable and we don’t drink it although you could.

There is more to my setup but you get the drift.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Canadian Bacon likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

All this pretty much.

Stick with 12” spacing. You can stretch your loops to about 250-300’ with 3/4 but shorter is still better.

I’d mix your water though. Run the boiler at 180 and get your supply temps down to 120-140. The mixing valve will prevent condensation and add life to your boiler.

4. Damn bbs could build a city if we did it piece by piece with all the info available. Well once you sort out all the smart ass comments. Always amazes me how many total idiots know a thing or two about things, myself included in the idiots just not sure I know anything about much, I know people who know :)

5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Listen to this guy. And it's been a while, but will 3/4" bend into a 12" spacing? Probably, just wunnerin' onaccounta I can't remember.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Just ran this in my house I'm building but 1/2 inch. One thing you want to make sure is that the free pex is the oxygen barrier version. The normal stuff will let oxygen leach in and out which can rot boilers.. so if its regular and not oxygen barrier I'd pass. The pex is usually the cheap part so I wouldn't take it for free if its not what you want.

1/2 inch do 300ft loops at 12 inches apart. If going 3/4 I'd shorten them up to 225-250 foot runs, still 12 inch apart.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

While we're on the subject, is replacing baseboard hot water heating with radiant floor heating feasibly worth it?
    I'd like to replace the existing flooring anyway so, that's the least of the concerns.

8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Need more information. Is it first floor and you have a basement, second floor ect? Usually to do remodel with in floor you would either need to run it between the stringers below, or run it directly on the floor and cover with an inch or two of gypsum then put the finished floor on top. If its first floor and you have a basement or crawl, you can run it tight to the floor between the stringers, they make metal plates that go in between the stringers to help radiate out the heat.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's a two story stick with a full basement. Currently set up with separate 1st/2nd floor loops from the oil-fired furnace. Ultimately, I'd like to have a manifold to split those zones with bathroom/kitchen loops. I've been looking at https://www.warmboard.com/ to go over the subfloor, topped with tile and hardwoods, depending on the room. An additional loop to do the basement would be nice.

Alternately, I've considered a coal stove in the basement...I'm in PA, coal aplenty. I could utilize the existing HVAC system for circulation but that doesn't address the dumbfuck baseboard registers interfering with real estate throughout the house nor would it give me separate zoning.