1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s a decent Helmet that’s not crazy expensive for a first track day?

Discussion in 'General' started by lacofdfireman, Sep 5, 2019.

1. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Scorpion for a decent "budget" race helmet. I couldn't afford to keep bouncing Shoei's off the ground and have been pretty happy with the Scorpion R2000. I still wear Shoei on the street for what it's worth though.

418, mpusch, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  2. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

What he said... Didn't bounce too many off the ground but the Scorpion EXO-R2000 was very nice in comparison to helmets 2-3 times their price point. I snagged three of their clearance helmets maybe a little over a year old on clearance for the price of a current Arai or Shoei…

3. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Pavoratti was overrated. Domingo was really the best of the three

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I owe you some beers for your mower advice, so let me know next time you're getting fitted in my neck of the woods.

ducnut likes this.
  5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Looked at the model when I got home. Mine is the LS2 Arrow.

6. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

A track helmet can be a street helmet. Best one you can afford, wish I bought a Arai a long time ago.
    Because of rules and date codes, one that's newer than 5 years old.
    Dot and or Snell approved.
    Most importantly it's a good fit everywhere on your head.

I will state, and if pushed find the email replies from the DOT, and Snell asking about age.
    Both replied, they default to the helmet manufacture BUT in there view life starts from day of usage. Stating sweat and UV cause safety issues after 5 years.
    While I'll go with that, I also know I've got NOS stuff from Honda that was 20 years old and it was crap.
    IMO a helmet with 2 or 3 years on the shelf in a controlled environment should have a decent 5 year life.

Lastly, what I think, Dot states or Snell if the racing or track day group enforces the 5 years from manufacture date then that is what it is. My last helmet was 9 months old when I got it.
    Considering the cost of the helmet, I lost $175 for that wait.

7. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing... found a closeout sale for a graphic that was discontinued for $130 and bought three of them... date code was right around 2 years old, and I still have another year left on them... I've only crashed one of them so have two left and have been really happy with them for the money.

jasonhise likes this.
  8. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Member

Under $500 is what I’d like to spend. I already have 3 other helmets but they are Modular or dual sport style. Can’t wear those on the track. I personally don’t see myself ever racing. I’m to old and fat. Haha. 47 and 6’5 250lbs. But would like to do a track day here and there if I really like it. Planning on taking a class through California Superbike school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Member

I currently wear a scorpion EXO 950 Dual sport helmet. I like it better than my Shoei Hornet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Just get an Arai

11. trojanliu

trojanliu Active Member

Another vote for Arai; their customer service is excellent. Additionally, I found the Arai RXQ helmet to fit better and have superior ventilation to the Shoei RF1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

You are coming into a good time of year for helmet closeouts. I wear Bell Race Star, which you should be able to find under $300 with some patience and searching.