1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building race bike...insight

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Sep 5, 2019.

1. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I built my '19 ZX-6R from scratch this year and besides getting a killer deal on it, this was the other reason I went this route. It's been pretty fun and rewarding piecing it together along the way. The other option was going with a newer gen R6, but I would have had to have sank a shitload more money into it compared to the ZX.

Laz and ducnut like this.
  2. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I knew you'd be along to set him right. OP, listen to him. He's never started a "buyer beware" thread, there's a reason for that.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. We don’t all have Broome $ :)

4. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Depending on suspension, you're probably low on your estimate by a decent amount.

If you're in Wisconsin, call Megan at TSE. I believe their setup 2017 is or will be for sale. All you'll have to do is ride it and you'll have local support.

5. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Hi Eric, this was estimating roughly $2200 for suspension. But again - i’m sure i’m missing some things here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You're not going to get $1500 for the stock shit. Everyone always thinks that's an easy sale, it's not. You deal with 800 booger eaters that will ask 50 million questions, and you won't hear back from 798 of those booger eaters. You'll want to sell as a set, 99% of them just want one or two pieces because they low sided their brand new bike with 200 miles on it, and owe 110% of what it's worth because they financed it for $100 a month until their eligible for social security. The remaining 2 people will nit pick the condition of the plastic and freak out if there's a microscratch in the clear, or if a decal is degraded in anyway...even if it's a belly pan piece that nobody would ever notice anyways.

Fuckin' street bike riders...the worst. But they'll go 10,000 miles without servicing the chain. :crackup:

The.Johnner, MachineR1, 5axis and 7 others like this.
  7. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Tell us how you really feel [emoji6]haha

Thanks for the feedback though. It was just an estimate.

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I don't think your far off on the estimate...but let's say your a couple grand low...if you can just crap 13-15k right now start looking and asking because there will probably be built bikes for sale in about 6-8weeks for that range.
    Usually the bigger guys will refresh the motor, suspension after the last race and the sell em off. Not as many as 10-20 years ago.

Now if you want to piece this together over the winter due to budget..or just to lear and do it...you'll not be out as much as buying brand new bike and converting.

That's when you "loose" a ton of value

ducnut and AC792 like this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Your over estimating what you'll get back in your pocket, and under estimating what you're going to spend...we've all done the same thing. LOL :D

Pitmom42 and AC792 like this.
  10. “Booger eaters” :crackup:

Kev59 likes this.
  11. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

That’s why I came here for the feedback [emoji1303] Need people who’ve done it to level set me and keep me in check. Didn’t really think this thread would get so much attention. It’s much appreciated

ducnut likes this.
  12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You’re getting good feedback because you asked smart questions and then listened to the answers. Almost daily someone on the beeb asks a question just hoping to get the answer that they wanted to hear. Then when they don’t, they argue and insist they were right all along and everyone else is wrong.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That is so not true. Let me tell you why....

:D

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

But your point is B.S. My rebuttal to follow after I consult with my ex wife ;)

MachineR1 and ChemGuy like this.
  15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Where in WI?

And +1000 to what everyone is saying. Look for a prebuilt one. All mine have been bought aleady as a racebike. If I can get my YZF750 running, I 'may' build it up into a racebike. Still undecided if I want to track it or just get rid of it. Getting rid of it is kinda hard since I've had it since 1997.

16. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

AC792, when you say “racebike”, are you going racing or are you looking for a track-worthy bike?
    The difference is in the details, defined by the chosen race org's rulebook. What flies with one org doesn't necessarily fly with another...

18. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

CCS racing. Just a track day guy right now but got my race license and am really looking forward to getting out there.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

[/thread]

:D

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I'm about an hour west southwest. We have a few guys on our local forum that live in the Milwaukee area (WIRiders.com). A good number of us do/did race and usually pit together.

You planning on coming to Blackhawk Sept 21-22 (CCS last race of the year)? If so usually I'm around T3, T4 or T1. Green GMC sierra, white 6x12 trailer, blue/white/yellow SV650 with Duc 999 bodywork. #14ex (#141 if I do an ASRA race there that weekend).