1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedding new EBC pads

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

I would like to try the GPAFAX380HH pads for my 08 R6. I ride a mid pack advanced pace. I have been using the double H sintered pads from EBC for the past 3 sets. If I put the new pads on do I need to do anything to the rotors or will they bed in ok without touching them? Or would a better pad for my pace be teh EPFA380HH?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Why change? If you’re satisfied with what you’re currently using, stick with them.

3. Nytrozula

I should have mentioned that I am not satisfied with teh HH. Experiencing too much fade halfway through the event. I am looking for a pad with good initial bite and limited fade. from what I read the upgraded EBC pads fit that description but I need to know if I can just slap them on without doing anything with the rotors or do they need to be resurfaced.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

there is a noticeable quality difference in the gpfa and epfa pads over the standard (cheaper) HH sintered pads. Big time.

the GPFAx will have a significantly stronger initial bite than the EPFA pads, but i still prefer the EPFA pads . the EPFA without the strong initial bite, give me a better feel entering the corners still on the brakes. They still have plenty of power, and will lift the rear of the bike with 2 fingers if you pull enough, and i run the OEM r6 master cylinders on both my bikes.
    The higher cost is worth it for whichever model ya choose, they last a REAL long time.
    i wouldn't worry much about doing anything to the rotors. these are all sintered material. These FA pads bed in fast too. I've often put new pads on right before a race, dragged them on the way to pit out, tapped the fronts a number of times heading to T1, eased into the brakes a bit more with each turn on the warm up lap.. and been just fine to start the race. Been using these since 2007 when they first came out. :)

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What's "mid pack advanced pace"?

Does that race run right after intermediate super sport?

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Maybe he wins track days.

Occasionally. :Poke:

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. MELK-MAN

@Nytrozula , pay no attention to the haters :) . The guy just above, started a thread needing advice on if he should use mustard that was past it's expiration date after all. ;)

8. Nytrozula

Thanks Melkman! Just the information I was looking for. And middle of the pack advanced means I'm not fast.... for you guys who think you probably are. I'm just a rider trying to enjoy the same sport you are.

Laz, dtalbott, Dragginass and 2 others like this.
  9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

What Greg sayas. Hes been on the EBCs for a while. And hey, advanced group probably has more entries than MA superbike:D

badmoon692008 and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

i'd get the EPFA if i were you. Very confidence inspiring, and won't be like "oh shit, i'm gonna tuck the front if i even SNEEZE on the lever right now" when you are leaned over and still on brakes. IF you find you want a lil' more initial bite than the EPFA offer, get a set of GPFA and RUN ONE OF EACH in each caliper. yes, you can do that. just ensure you mark em somehow, and have one of each in each caliper.
    These won't fade. and will last a really long time.. (either one, gpfa or epfa).

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

There are only like 10 people here who actually ride anything at all man so no worries :p.

Melk-Man arguably being the most successful though he will never admit it. :flag:

Sabre699 and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Perfectly timed thread and thank you Melk-man for your insight into these pads.

I bought a KTM Duke 790 for a street bike this summer and it has horrible OEM setup but the owners forum if full of guys who say a basic pad upgrade makes a night and day difference.

I was going to go with the basic FA244's but after reading this thread and doing some research I'll spring the extra cash for the EPFA's even though it's a street bike and I don't require extreme braking performance as I no longer race. You say they wear great even on track so for a street/TD bike they will wear like iron I'm sure.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I always thought it was run one set in one caliper and the other set on the other side.

14. MELK-MAN

In theory, that would potentially cause forks to twist with the gpfa pads biting harder initially.
    Having one of each in each caliper, you have equal bite, averaged, applied to both rotors.. i think @Gorilla George has done this...

Gorilla George and bored&stroked like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

Fwiw.. EBC markets the epfa as their aggressive street/trackday pad, and the gpfa as the race pad. However the epfa was the full on race pad in 2007 till 2011 when the gpfa was released.. and has nit changed since 2007.
    I just didnt care for the extra initial bite of the gpfa pads and had grown accustomed to the awesome epfa. But make no mistake, the epfa is a good race pad, but will work on street IF you plan to do spirited riding. Does take some heat to get em clamping.. glad to help

CR750 and younglion like this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

How much drag do the ebc race pads have now? When I tried them 10 years ago or so they had a crazy amount of drag especially compared to the SBS pads I was normally running.

17. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

That is F-in cool, whish I would have though of that in the past. Good way to split the difference between pads.

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Performance friction or SBS

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Awe shit man, thanks for validating my opinion. :rock:

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Now that I wasnt sure you could do. Another piece of gold. Thanks Greg.

MELK-MAN likes this.