1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm Turning Japanese....

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

And you better by God salute if you go near Hamamatsu! :Poke:

Banditracer likes this.
  2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Sumimasen: excuse me
    Ohio goyzaimus: good morning
    Koneechiwah: hello
    Arigato goyzaimus: thank you
    Donttouchmymustache: you’re welcome

Not the correct spelling but that’s how I’d spell it based on the sounds, except the last one that we just say because it’s funny. It’s really something like doitashimashite.

All of the old temples in Kyoto are awesome to see if you have a day to spend. If the weather is nice it’s a great way to spend a day on a bicycle riding from place to place.

The food can be a little intimidating if you’re exploring on your own. Many places have English translations on the menus but not all. I didn’t have cell signal there so I downloaded google translate for Japanese and it came in handy many times. Some new things to try are:

- Hitsumabuchi (eel but very good and easy to eat)
    - Tebasaki (chicken wings that are super crispy. Kind of cool that you can break the bones at the knuckle and eat all of the meat in one bite. Our chicken bones in ky don’t break like that)
    -Shabu shabu (a style of eating where you flash cook the veggies and meats yourself in different boiling broths. You only cook the food as long as it takes you to say shabu shabu)
    - yakinuku (basically you cook an assortment of food over a grill that is at your table. These can be cheap up to very expensive and almost always very delicious.)

I’m normally just in Nagoya so I’m not sure how similar the rest of the country is. I spent a few days in Tokyo and had a good time as well.

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen an eastern toilet in the major hotels I’ve stayed in, but the office building have all been split 50/50. Either a crazy digital toilet with 100 settings or a trough in the ground.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Looking for Big S TP now so i can do it proper....:Poke:

Too bad you're not in MCO anymore. Gonna be there in a couple weeks. May get down NC at some point.

This gig has me traveling US/North America wide a couple weeks a month...with occasional trips to Japan.

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

Good info Phil thanks.

Dont have exact dates but it will be at least one weekend, maybe 2 so should have time to explore some. Guy going with me has been 20 times so he knows some stuff. Looking for must see for 1st timer for Tokyo..like their times square...see all the lights people craziness....palaces, monks/shrines, etc.

Also secretly hoping one of the guys Ill deal with is a bike guy so I can find some clean 2T and have someone help me send them over hear.....that would make me super happy....

motion and Phl218 like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

渋谷駅前スクランブル交差点 Shibuya Crossing for sure. just sit there and watch. (from inside the shopping center by the train station)

tokyo tower is cool, emperors palace ... and the high speed train to Nagoya, flying by Mt. Fuji...

thousands of temples and shrines.

Fish market not open for the public any more, but still great sushi restaurants and ramen noodle places there.

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I was there ten years ago with my daughter for her graduation trip. We based in Tokyo and traveled mostly north. There was a web site all about traveling Japan that really helped. The travel pass saved us some serious money. Back then the best way to communicate was to rent a Japan specific cell phone. It’s a place I’d never really wanted to go but we had a really great time!!
    Enjoy

Phl218 likes this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I will pay anyone who is going there to bring me bottles of Four Roses Super Premium, Four Roses Platinum, Four Roses Black Label, Blanton's Black, Blanton's Red or Blanton's Gold (SFTB, may have no label just gold lettering).

Any of these save teh EW 12 year (scored one of those last month) :)
    https://gearpatrol.com/2019/08/04/bourbon-whiskey-available-japan/

vfrket likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sure.....that's easy for you to say.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto, domo.

Isn’t there some street/alley in Tokyo that is nothing but motorcycle shops?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Expect to see spacebattleship Yamato.

12. ChemGuy

I Like Bourbon.

13. I go about 4-5x a year so am pretty familiar. First things first is all public transportation runs like clockwork, all of it. Heated shitters are nice, especially in higher end hotels. Take the train to Hiroshima, it’s pretty intense when you are standing right in the middle where the bomb dropped. You won’t find much American style food except McDonalds, Burger King, etc unless downtown Tokyo but Tokyo will cost you. Try to find someone you work with to bring you around, all depends on how much free time you have as well. I’ve been there so much that I’m in and out as quick as possible. Fly into Hanida if at all possible. Narita is ok but Haneda is much easier but that also depends on where you are heading when arriving. Can take bus (one of the nice shuttle ones) or train right at airport but once again depends on where you are going. A few times I’ve use Delta’s concierge driver but it’s quicker to take public transport at times. Prices on things over there vary a lot depending on where you are at, food especially. It’s crowded but very organized. Be sure to pay attention on the escalator and it will give you insight to how Japan works. Anyone who’s not walking the stairs stays to one side, even if the escalator is packed and a line to get on. First couple time getting a train ticket go to the counter until you are familiar with how they work the. Just use the machine. You only need cash for street stuff, everywhere takes cards so that’s not an issue.
    Few days before you leave start changing your eating and sleeping habits little by little. It will help a lot with the jet lag and if you land anytime during the day DO NOT GO TO SLEEP, power through it. Even if you just take it a bit easy, walk around then order room service and call it an early night, don’t nap during the day.

14. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

I’m in Tokyo and other parts of Japan every month just lately

Ropongi is the night life area and where most of the ex pats hang out
    There are some good bars and restaurants (expensive) around the Tokyo train station as well

The motorcycle area in Ueno has largely disappeared but there are few shops left, with very expensive Z1’s and such like

One phrase that may be useful is Nama biru Kurusai or another beer please

15. I’m in Nagoya almost every time I am in Japan, Mt Fuji never gets old. Even if I plan to have a nap on the train I set my alarm. One more thing, people don’t talk on cell phones on the trains, they text like mad but it’s very very rare to see anyone talking. Also google translate helps a ton when you can’t communicate what you are saying or trying to order something and you don’t mistakingly want to order bull testicles.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

What’s wrong with eating bulls balls?

Oh and go eat in one of the Korean bbq places where they light a coal fire and serve thinly sliced beef . Simply amazing.

I have to see if I still have the address of that Brazilian bar. Caipirinha and amazing steak

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ah, Phil watch how you say that. You got some beebers that get all butt hurt and wanna try and take your man-card.
    I support you? :beer:

18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Bring back a boatload of them Chinese rearsets, clip ons, and levers. You'll make a killing.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

And visit the donger basement where the sweet enduros are made by children? :D