1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't Honda make the RC213V for the public?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sweet

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not sure, but would be highly doubtful given the parameters in which Honda sold these bikes to end users with them being neutered and IIRC there were some sales agreement etc. In the end, it would be paramount to taking an RC51 without Hondas cubic $ racing fairy dust and expecting it to perform at a high level. Although the SP2 did receive some trickle down development from WSBK. Hondas forte was always being able to make a mass production bike that sold well off the showroom floor then sinking racing $ into it in order to achieve good race performance.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Shaft drive as well.

4. It doesn’t quite work like that. In other words, a V4 doesn’t necessarily = more power by default. IIRC, V4’s are less efficient than I4’s. They can be made to have great power (WSBK RSV4’s), but it costs more to do so. Hence the lack of V4 sportbikes all over the market.

The inherent advantage of a V4 isn’t outright power, it is mechanical grip. Plus the fact that a V4 motor is more narrow and compact.

K51000 likes this.
  5. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

A V-engine is also more complicated to build, is generally heavier, has almost double the valve train weight, many more moving parts, etc and does not, by design, produce more HP per cc. In fact the opposite is usually true.

There are other advantages to the v-4 design especially in motorbikes. They are much much better at mass centralization and, as mentioned, can produce better grip. However, the grip is more likely down to correct (and adjustable on the Duc and Hon) flywheel weight. As everyone is aware, without grip power is useless and a few peak HPs in motoGP is rarely, if ever, going to make the difference.

K51000 likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m just waiting for Honda to make a good liter bike in general. :D
    Sadly, given today’s dynamics, there is no reason for them to do so.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The CBR1000RRRRRrrrrrrr is just fine for what it is sold as. A fast liter bike for the street and maybe a track day here or there that sells in small numbers.

Sure, they could release a new version with a V4, WSBK level Ohlins forks, brakes that'll put you on your head and all the gimmicks and doodads that people say they NEED but won't actually buy but why should they? No one would buy it.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Why would anyone when a bone stock GSXR directly off the showroom floor would stomp it on the track, even after throwing aftermarket parts $ on it? Somethings never change. :D

K51000 likes this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I accept this dig when referring to Suzuki roadbikes, but when talking about ANY GP bike - really?

NOTE - I’m acknowledging I’m a Suzuki Fan and always will be.

Long live the 1G Network, defiantly analog! :D

K51000 likes this.
  10. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I actually had no idea my thread would turn into this great conversation. Thanks to all who have read, and posted.

Now, if Rins on that I4 can repeat in a few weeks, THAT would be awesome! If you're a Suzy fan like me

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

tantamount?

:D

Steeltoe and G 97 like this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

You have to realize he doesn’t acknowledge Suzuki’s 2000 championship or some of their 1st place finishes. :D

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

http://www.padgettsmotorcycles.com/racing

They've been racing it for years and not just at the TT. The way the engine spins up and accelerates is noticeably quicker. It does well considering they are the only people racing it and had to figure out everything on their own.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Shouldn’t you be on a back country road somewhere between Burlington and Yorkville riding WFO? :D

15. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ this. You also have to think about what the bike is designed and setup for. Roads is a different beast altogether. Bumps, undulations, jumps, etc etc require a very different type of setup and bike feel than a GP circuit. If I remember correctly the first time the took the 213V-S out they found out quickly that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park - overall I think they have done decently with it.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sweet

17. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Oh this shit again? Dani won a lot of races but never a championship. That’s how racers are judged, by the number of championships they’ve won, not how many races they’ve won.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Have you told Colin Edwards?

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hmmm, not sure I’ve ever stated otherwise.

Not sure how Pedrosa relates to this other then you once again are negating someone’s - in this case, Dani’s 250 championships and 125 championship. :Poke:

Regardless, It still does not change the fact that you completely discounted Suzuki’s 2000 GP500 championship as well as a few other of their premier class wins. Just saying. ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    K51000 likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude.