1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checkout charities

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 2, 2019.

1. I’ve always seen the little boxes/cans sitting by the register, but when did asking people to donate every time become a thing?

And, how can you be sure the money is actually going there?

It aggravates me when they get pushy about it. I stopped at a gas station and dude asked me if I wanted to donate to something, and if you donated a dollar you get your name on one of those star things. I said fine, and donated $5.

I got to the car and realized I’d forgotten to get a water, so I went back in. The same dude asked me again and I was like “I just donated 2 minutes ago”.

Then he was like “you can never give too much”. I just looked at him. He got the point, but still didn’t drop it. He then said “how about at least rounding up the 0.83 to the next dollar”.

It’s not the money, I donate to various things throughout the year. I just don’t like the extra bullshit at checkout. If I can get out of there without speaking at all, I will do so. But it really aggravates me when they start being pushy and begging and shit.

The way some of them act, it makes me think the store gets a cut of it.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I hope you told him that he was doing his charity a disservice by being pushy.

3. I should have.

I just said “whatever it takes to end this damn transaction so I can get back on the road”.

MachineR1 and KrooklynSV like this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Salesmanship.....good old salesmanship. :crackup:

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

So did you round up the $.83, or not, stingy???

6. Yes.

He took my “whatever it takes...” comment as permission.

7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

He's not getting a cut. There may be a non-monetary incentive internally for highest "seller" but he's not pocketing 10 cent on every dollar you donate. It's most likely a corporate mandate (if it's a chain location) that they ask EVERY CUSTOMER on EVERY transaction, sometimes in multiple ways. The cashier/clerk could suffer consequences from their employer if they don't.

I work in a retail setting. We do same shit. It's annoying.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I was starting to think that the only cut the store got was an uppercut. :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  9. He was getting closer to one by the second...

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You forgot WATER? Lol. Yes, they can get pushy sometimes, I cut in with "I'm comfortable with my charitable efforts, thank you." Polite smile, implacable stare, let's move on.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. :crackup:

12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

"No, thank you" is my standard response. It's the groups that set up at the entrance that I dislike. Makes me keep driving to find another store.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There were some people collecting donations for something at an intersection here in town the other day. Then they were going into the gas station and paying for their drinks OUT OF THE DONATION BUCKETS!

14. Yeah that gets on my nerves too.

But I do like it when people will setup in the parking lot trying to sell puppies. I always play with all of them. :D

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It annoys me too. Seems like every grocery store I frequent does this now. Doesn’t help that I rarely give a shit about the charities they ask to give to. For me, it’s local animal shelter or nothing.

I also don’t like how the companies asking don’t seem to have any skin in the game. If they are doubling all donations, I may be incentivized enough to donate.

16. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Fixed.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

You are donating directly to the company's bottom line. They donate the money in their own name for the tax write off. The money they would've spent on charity, if not for your donation, is now profit in their pocket. A sinister strategy that reduces charity spending overall. Never give a penny at the checkout!

MCW, jbammin, Rebel635 and 3 others like this.
  18. Never thought about it like that, but it makes sense.

They can easily be like “we raised $10,000” and turn it in (claiming it on taxes), then they don’t have to donate their own money.

19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ordering from Amazon negates this problem.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

This is my response, when asked to donate:

"My donation is buying something from this store so someone like you can have a job."