1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley regret?

Discussion in 'General' started by wera313, Aug 31, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@BSA43
    :crackup:
    That's rich coming from a country that drives on the wrong side of the road.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Harley over Gold Wing all day long.

3. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

oldwing ia a plastic monster. My rocket 3 touring was a fun bike but was more of a west coast/open road (power) cruiser. To me the east coast is too crowded to let the rocket open up so i sold it and kept the HD. If want to be invisible to the man and have a bike which is reliable, easy to live with and has some motor character the Harley (not FX) is not a bad choice.

4. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

You'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe if you get a Harley so you need to factor that in as well.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its my understanding that the ABS modules often fail from not enough use or tend to lockup from such a scenario... lol. Safety feature!

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Also factor in the price of the permits for all the "Parade Riding" you'll be doing.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

ABS is an whole other can of worms, for sure.

On the flipside, when it does kick in, my experiences all follow the same pattern...I miss my turn-in point.

ducnut likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You’ve been drinking too much ethanol. :D

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s one thing I really hate about my Tiger 800XCx. And, if I rail a turn and stand up the bike really quick, it’ll activate TC and slam weight forward, it’s so abrupt. I wish the bike would default to everything off and let me add in what I want.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nah man. I’ve had three GL1800 20o5,2006,2007. Don’t get me wrong, other then the cracked frame issues it’s a great motorcycle. It does everything very well. The thing of it is, it’s too vanilla. It has no heart or soul. It’s like your disconnected from the ride. It’s like a rheostat just turn the dial.

I’ve also had a couple HD CVO Ultras. Sure it vibrates a little but really only when stopped. It smooths out once you start going and I’ve been on worse vibrating/ buzzing sportbikes that make your hands go numb. They also generate heat, but I’ve been on way more uncomfortable heat generating bikes like my 916. Those Termignonis are filetmignonis for the heat they put out. Put a Traxxion kit in it and upgrade the brake pads and it’s all good. The other thing is, you can’t beat a Harley for the low end torque and the stop sign to stop sign riding. All and all, I feel way more connected with the HD over the benign, soulless Gold Wing.

Say what you want about HD as I know they have shortcomings but they are a very fun bike to ride.:)

Jeff McKinney and Scotty87 like this.
  11. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

So it's like buying a Ducati?

12. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

All I know is I see all kinds of motorcycles at our restaurant. 90 percent of the Harley folks are covered head to toe with brand merch. The other brands not as much peacocking. I did see a dude come in one time with a Yamaha Racing team jacket on but that was Jamie James.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit.....and waste all that technology? :D

ducnut likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

Shit...the only way that technology has any value is if you have a team of technicians that understand how to manipulate it and can do so every session. :rolleyes:
    Otherwise, it just defaults to dumb and dumber...perfect for the unskilled riding enthusiast. :D

15. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you. I've never been into sport bikes until my son caught the bug. But having been around the track for a while and dealing with the performance aspect, I'm thinking about going back to the Goldwing. I do miss the throttle response and power on demand the GL had.

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’m thinking about one for long road trips. However I really like the DCT Honda goldwings loaded out.

17. fastfreddie

Ya know, I bet if you put some straight pipes and a pod filter on that 'Wing you'd find a fun-spirited soul capable of slayin' the torquiest of souls. :cool:

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy my Harley....and Harley Quinn.

sarah harley 2.jpg

Steeltoe, Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nah, no amount of tweaking that empty dark soulless bike will ever come close to a CVO Ultra.

2B9D3C29-E024-4CF5-8244-A39EF3C24646.jpeg