1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California info..pleez

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Look for a job in TX or AZ, you will be much happier. Your mindset going in means you will not fit in and will be miserable.

Palmdale is not LA by a long shot and if you’re giving half your check to the IRS, find an accountant because you are doing something way wrong.

2. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

I interned at their ATL location and am planning on doing their rotational program that would put me in Dallas for a few months, so I’ll get a taste of Texas and see if I like it better. My brother lived in Fort Worth and I liked it from what I saw (didn’t see much of it). Never been to California though so any assumptions I make are based on what I’ve heard. I’m not worried about fitting in, after all every one of my friends here is from a different country and we get along fine. I just don’t like the big city hustle.

3. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

If you are a conservative, small farm town kind of guy and you aren’t forced to move out here, then don’t do it. You will never be happy here long term. As someone who grew up here and lived my adult life here, this state is no where near what it was when I grew up in the 70’s -80’s. EVERYONE here that is a reasonable, rational thinking, working citizen wants out. I was talking yesterday with a customer that served 31 years with Riverside County Sherriff Department and is now Orange County Sherriff about the state of our state. One thing he said I completely agree with is “it’s gonna get worse before it gets better”. Seriously, even if it seems like substantially more money, you will waste that and then some in taxes, rent, fuel, wasted time in traffic and quality of life.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wrightwood is nice. Had a buddy who lived there. Its tiny though...gotta drive anywhere for most stuff other than basics. We once drank the place out Jaeger...even though the bar sold us a couple bottles

Plus screw that drive when you dont have too. Just start wearing tinfoil, reading conspiracy blogs, living off grid and embrace the awesomeness that is the antelope valley...

5. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

The high desert is a very strange place...

Whenever I have driven through the area, I’d look around and wonder why anyone would ever want to live there...

6. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

There's a reason they call it "The High" desert.

Sabre699 and TheGrouchyCat like this.
  7. TheGrouchyCat

The pay is normal, it’s more about the work I’d be doing. I’d be there for at least a year before doing my rotational program, at the end of which I could essentially pick between their main facilities to work at. Whether a year is enough to judge whether I’d be happy there I’m not sure.

I don’t mind tiny and I don’t mind driving. Although I’m aware that driving 2hrs a day can take a toll on someone, so that’d be something to consider. There’s a house for rent there for $1000 a month so maybe one year in the valley and one year in the sticks and see which I like better.

Lmao AV sounds better every minute!

8. TheGrouchyCat

My friends from India say the same thing about the endless horizon of cornfields here

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So you are saying nothing good there? :D

10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Think long and hard before you decide, research it and come check it out for yourself if possible. I'm not trying to be dramatic. Things are not great here. There is massive overcrowding, exploding homelessness, mass illegal immigration, over reaching and over taxing government. The high desert is HOTT in the summer and cold in the winter. You'll get maybe 2 months of decent weather. And I hope you like wind. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

11. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Hit me up if you do a TD at Laguna. I live bout 10 minutes away lol

12. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Member

I’m a Fireman for LA County. I’m stationed in Lancaster. I moved to Southern Utah 9 years ago and now commute 360 miles to work here. That’s how much I loved living here. [emoji1787]. 7 more years until retirement.

If your going to live here like others have said stay west. As far west as you can. I can’t think of even one single apartment complex I’d live in out there though single or not. If I was taking a job out here I’d either rent or buy a hike on the west side or better yet I’d move to Tehachapi. Easy 50 minute drive. Never any traffic either way and it’s up in the mountains. Much nicer than Lancaster. Good luck. If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tehachapi is purty for sure.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Everyone bags on Cali and for good reason, that being said it has some great things too. I wouldn't live in LA, even at 20, I passed up a job in LA and part of the gig would have been learning to fly. Lived in Victorville as a kid for a year. Hated the desert till I got a motorcycle, it also snowed in December. Used to be able to just take off and ride for miles. Don't know if that's possible anymore. It's a big state, I laugh when I get a note from a friend who tells me they're going to be visiting and want to get together, then I tell them I'm 5 hours north. And it's 4 hours or so to the northern border. :)

15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

ELDP? Or some other rotation? I wouldn’t live in Palmdale for years and years, but for career progression, it’s fine. Go up to Mammoth to ski in the winter and get a dirt bike for the bombing around the desert. And like Dan said, eat at In N Out frequently. Worst thing about CA for me was traffic, so you learn when to go places and when not to.

16. TheGrouchyCat

ELDP or OLDP not sure which direction I want to go with that yet. Yea this is more of a “if I’m gonna do it now’s the time” thing not a “settle down with a family” thing.

17. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

In 2012 I finally went to Laguna to watch the GP. My first time in NorCal. As soon as I got off the plane I said to myself whatever I have to do to make it happen I am moving out here.
    No way.
    The offers I got for jobs were fairly close to what I make here in Tejas. But no way in hell could I afford to buy a house are even rent. Let alone the taxes, ins, cost of living, etc. Even if I had a 2 hr commute. I tried all kinds of ways to run the #'s but even if I didn't eat, I couldn't make it happen. Guess I'll keep California dreamin.
    I did find it odd all the bikes I saw has some sort of theft mechanism like a rotor lock or something. I remember thinking that was unusual.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My girls brother lives in san fran and pays $2800 a month in rent .He describes the place as moldy,mildew,old pipes,basic dump for that kinda money!

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:Puke:

20. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Girlfriends mom lives there. Assume everything you own will disintegrate into a pile of rust in two years or less. It's also amazingly beautiful.