1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermoto Set Up Qs

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, Aug 27, 2019.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

So maybe you can give me some clarification on the chain rub thing. I am most likely going to go with the 5 inch rear just because of the extra grip factor. Is the rubbing really that big of a deal since it’s a common problem?

2. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

You can also relace the wheel so it sits a bit more opposite the chain. Having done this personally I'd say try the sprocket spacer first LOL.

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this elsewhere in another thread before, so I won't belabor it too much here. Sprocket alignment, i.e., chain straightness, is an issue if you offset the rear sprocket or the rear wheel. With the wheel offset, you'll need to check centerline of rear wheel and centerline of front. There have been motorcycle in the past designed with an offset, i.e., the BSA Rocket 3 from 1971, but personally, I've always tried mightily to keep things in line. As for the sprocket offset, it may not be much, and others have said it doesn't matter. Again, I try to keep things lined up. YMMV.

I think you mentioned it is a 250? Will you really see or benefit from a difference in "grip factor" between the 2 rim sizes? I put a 4.25" on my XR650R and run a 160 rear and I'm happy. But again, your experience may be significantly different than mine.

All the best with the project. Above all, have fun.

Cheers,

Dave

E Reed likes this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Not a big deal at all and you can get a chain slider that stops it also.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you're planning on racing it, that's one thing, but there's no fucking way I'd ride a sumo at a big track day. The speed differential is just too great.

FWIW, I've got WR250F and TE511 both setup with wheels/rotor/caliper relocator and they're fine for my needs of blowing off some steam at the NJMP kart track(s).

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if it hits the tire edge lightly, no biggie other than robbing you of some hp at the ground. hitting the rim... is common, and a big issue, especially if you like nice stuff. graves used to make catch cans for the oil, and fuel. they also had a great chain slider that mounted on the top of the swingarm that kept the chain off the wheel and tire with minimal pressure. Ski

7. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

8. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I tested those waters last weekend at the Corvette track in Bowling Green on my 450. It has a LONG front straight. Needless to say, I was just waiting to get ass-packed... I rode in the Advanced group though with some good riders, so all was good.

9. JBowen33

So I ended up just ordering a set of wheels. 17x3.5 and 17x 5.0. Hopefully it won’t be too difficult to get set up. Going to stick with the stock sprocket and rear disc off of the dirt wheels and I ordered the Galfer 320 mil kit. Hopefully it won’t be hard to get together. Looking to just kart track it for the remainder of the year.

10. JBowen33

11. JBowen33

It’s actually the gytr factory 450. Something like 63 hp or something like that. I’m 6 foot 200 pounds and I can barely keep the front down on the motocross track. I’m assuming it has more then enough balls to break the rear loose with ease on the kart track. That’s why I want the 5 inch rear