1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing 1 rotor bolt, safe?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxerjoe, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Don't gloss over the size difference in the 3 bolt setup and the 6 bolt setup. They get bigger when they use 3 for a reason. Just sayin...

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes, the streets, where not one is around you and could not be affected.

3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Also, most probably they're titanium.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Don't do the logic thing. Put a self tapper in there it will be fine.

AC1108 likes this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

EBR?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid: And also notice that the holes will not line up as you go from a design with three to five, or from 5 to 6 bolts. There's a reason for that. Someone with an engineering background must have thought that it's best to spread the forces evenly or something.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What do engineers know anyways?

8. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Stuff.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I know one that wanted us to put small pieces if 30# paper on either side of a 2x2 that was sandwiched between two rails, because the 2x2's were only 1-7/16".

Yeah, no.

10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

th (2).jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Man dont pay to have that fixed, do it yourself. Its super easy. You could...

1. Drill at tap for a larger bolt

2. Drill and helicoil for original sized bolt.

Either way takes 5 - 20 minutes depending on how much experience you have with the tools. If really unsure get a scrap part from a junkyard and practice on it first. You'll still be money ahead and have a safe part.

12. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

To get back to the OP, you can try dissolving the old bolt with alum. Several tutorials on the web for it and it will preserve the threads, so no drilling, tapping, or helicoil.

13. gixxerjoe

gixxerjoe Well-Known Member

I want to have a machinist do the work since I suck at this type of stuff. Any recommendation on a shop by nyc?

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Watch some YouTube videos then go slooooooooooowwwwww. It's super easy and puts another skillset in your toolbag that you'll always have at your disposal. Trust me....super easy.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If the bolt is broken because the threads are crossed, then you need a machinist to make sure that the new threads are perpendicular to the mounting surface. If the bolt is broken because someone gorilla tightened it, then you can likely just start drilling it out and could simply thread itself out the backside of the rim. Just start with a 1/8" drill bit, then a 5/32, then a 3/16", stepping up to a 1/4" bit. By the time that you get to 1/4" (or before), the bit might catch on the previous hole size and just wind it down into the center of the wheel. Or, by that time, you would have it the right size to use an easy-out. It really is that easy. Just use new bits, some type of lube (penetrating oil of your choice), low speed, and constant pressure straight at it.

You can do this!

16. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I am on the other end of the state otherwise I would help you out. There has to be someone semi local and skilled that can help you learn some new things and fix your wheel up.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is the bolt one where it has a shoulder that sits down into the carrier a bit? You're going to want that bolt pretty well centered if that's the case or your going to have issues later.

18. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I'd drill a larger sized pilot hole (a few sizes smaller than bolt size) and try to extract with a tool after hitting the area with lots of mapp gas...
    maybe dremel the top before drilling... maybe

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Whoa!!!

20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

You called Dan-O!?!? : )

Sabre699 likes this.