1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on helmets?

Discussion in 'General' started by surgin, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The BBS? Opinions on anything? Nah, not this place. :D

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have a long-oval, best helmet to ever fit me was a Shark RSi, which they no longer make, and replaced with the Vision-R and not sure if that's been replaced.

Bell Star Carbon is what I currently use, and it's been great. Riders discount had a sale for Christmas and I snagged one and it fits well for by shape.

BTW are helmets with a internal sunshield legal for WERA?

Sent from my smatrfone

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I was looking at getting a new helmet at the beginning of the year and thought about one with an internal sunshield. My brother has one and when I asked him about them he said that he wouldn't recommend one for racing as the front of the helmet is larger than a normal one and it might limit visibilty when in a racing tuck.

BigBird likes this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Just noticed the RPHA 11 Pro is not Snell certified. Yes Toni is wearing it, but should the lack of a Snell rating be cause for concern?

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Dunno.....but it is DOT and ECE approved.

6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I use a cheap HJC FG17, new one, well 2 years old, factory paint matches my bike. It's Snell approved, fits well, and takes my Senna self install well too.
    It was low $$. I ride the blue one

[​IMG]

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I had thought that Snell was the higher rating? Didn't research it recently, maybe not?

8. Robin172

I look at three ratings, Snell, Sharp and ECE. I always get try to get a helmet with a five star Sharp rating, which will definitely give it an ECE certification. Not all the European helmets are Snell certified, mainly because the manufacturers don't bother. If it has a five star and ECE cert. it will almost certainly get a Snell one.

I might be wrong but I think I read several years ago that some of the helmet manufacturers (Arai, Shoei) have a different version of the same helmet for Europe than the US, I can't see why though, maybe to do with head shape.

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I’d put Snell below ECE, then SHARP personally. It’s just a super stiff rating that isn’t as absorptive as the others that are more forward thinking.

Theres a new AGV K6 coming soon around $500 that’s crazy light and 5 star SHARP rated that should make a great race helmet at a more affordable price.

10. Robin172

I'm using an AGV GT Veloce at the moment, five star Sharp rating, ECE, no Snell though. Got it on closeout from STG for under $200.

BigBird likes this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Besides the "bargin" priced helmets from helmet center and crap, they are all ridiculously over priced. That's my opinion.

So I wait for clearance sales and get a good one at 1/3 price. Otherwise I can't justify the price tag.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OP, proper fit is paramount. Good luck if your head is shaped like mine (similar to this guy).

Stewie-Griffin.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I agree- the ones with drop down shields are geared toward street riders, so the field of view/eye port opening is not great in a full tuck. I have an EXO510 (?) with the drop down, and the one time I tried it on track the inner shield unexpectedly dropped part or all the way down...not good on the track. Also why race oriented helmets like my RPHA11 suck on an upright streetbike- way too much sun in your eyes early when the sun is low. BTW- that HJC is the fanciest/priciest helmet I've owned at $260 on closeout; still had 3 seasons of WERA eligibility. I highly doubt a $700 helmet would protect any better.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Weird but that's how it goes. AGV/Shuberth/Shoei all fit me pretty much the same. I'm in love with AGV right now after years of Shoei. I find the venting and liners are better thought out.

Arai gives me a major headache after a while. Shark just can't make anything that fits me at all.

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

the new shoei matte black, with sublimated ghosted american flag is AWESOME... AND I DONT LIKE MATTE FINISHES AT ALL. i saw it in person a few days ago. Ski

16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I just tried that one on over the weekend as well and wished it fit me better. It is sweet.

17. Arioch

Arioch Member

18. Robin172

This. You don't need to spend a fortune on a helmet if you do your research on standards and look for deals from places like STG. You can get a very high quality helmet for a bargain price if you're prepared to change it every couple of years.

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Definitely a beautiful lid.
    RD Shoei RF-1200 Dedicated TC-5 5.jpg
    RD Shoei RF-1200 Dedicated TC-5 3.jpg

20. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

I'm with the Race Star crowd as it fits me better than most and Bell seems to have been the only ones in advancing helmet safety with MIPS/Flex. Grabbed with one from Revzilla for 1/2 off just a few days ago, came with a second visor to boot.[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.