1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumped gas in box trailer how to remove odor?

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Aug 27, 2019.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Ok, So I have 3 or 4 bikes I move in out of this box trailer. Well I some point I need some tie downs and I took the ones from my XR100. Needless to say I needed to mow grass a week later and I moved the trailer. Well a week later I was looking in the trailer and the Xr is on the floor. Must have had a full tank and leaked gas.

So I have a fan running on it now. but I still smell gas when I open the doors. I sleep in this trailer sometimes so. How can I get the gas smell out? Gas be Gone?

Plywood floor..

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Match?

:D

Sorry cant help other than lots of ventilation. Like weeks of doors open. And maybe something to mask the smell.

turner38 and Phl218 like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Menards has a product called Revitalize that’ll seal it and is impervious to spills. It’s located in the paint section. I’ve had it in my trailer, for ~6yrs, and getting ready to give mine a fresh coat.

BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Water & dish soap will do the job of cleaning the surface, then seal it. If the wood is swollen or delaminating, then you'll need to replace that wood.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Just dump a few ounces of U4 or MR12 in there... at lease it will be a pleasant toxic smell.

6. zippytech

That's what I been doing..

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Soap water.... dry then a can of Pledge.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

9. zippytech

At least it was no ethanol 92..

Razr likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

There is another product out there called Rubber Coin Flooring too... Just saying....:Poke:

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Nope. It has grit in it and dries grippy. It’s really thick, so fills the wood grain and creates a consistent texture almost like Line-X. I used the trailer for a lawn and landscape business and it’s held up way better than I thought it would. There’s absolutely no peeling. I’ve spilled pump gas, AV fuel, engine oils, bar oil, and lawn chemicals on the floor with no staining or degradation. It’s amazing stuff. Dawn dish detergent, water, and a floor broom washes it right out.

BigBird and YamahaRick like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does it make change?? :beer:

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

A real ozone generator can get the smell out after you've got things dry.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

dawn dish washing soap, dry, then sprinkle fresh coffee grounds in the trailer. let sit, vacuum up later. youtube, google are your friends here. Ski

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Diatomaceous earth works well too at sucking crap out of wood.

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

As long as the surface you put it on is free of gas or oil, which in the OPs post is not the case. If the gas has soaked into the wood, it will continue to weep up and nothing is going to stick to it. I had a trailer the previous owner had an oil spill that soaked through the floor. I ended using 1/4 plywood over the entire floor covering the old floor, using screws to fasten it to the old floor. Of course the smell was not nearly as bad as gas, but this maybe your only avenue other than ripping the entire old floor out.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Spread baking soda and sweep it out after a couple of days. Repeat.

Baking soda soaks up the liquid and the odor.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Gas and oil are totally different. Oil-based coatings, like Revitalize, will cover gas stains, as it evaporates off and leaves minimal residual. Oil does seep, as you say, and can be problematic. However, with prep chemical, rags, and scrubbing, it can be overcome enough for oil-based products to stick. The more thickness the product cures out with, the more stable it’ll be. If the floor has spent its life being oil-soaked, then yes, covering it is best. Totally case-dependent.

Elsewhere, I posted about a garage floor that had been saturated from a vegetable oil filtering operation we coated over. Talk about seepage. As mentioned, we spent two full days prepping that place and were amazed the coating we used cured out.