1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nelson Ledges

Discussion in 'General' started by mpusch, Aug 25, 2019.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Hoping to make the latter Nelson round since it's even closer than Pittrace for me. Looking to get an idea of what the facilities are currently like there. Sounds like there may have been some updates in addition to the track changes?

My wife and 6 month daughter will be with me. Just have an enclosed 6x12. Electricity available? Bathrooms any better than (it sounds) like they used to be? Any recommendations on hotels?

2. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Last race we had to pit in the mud. There was nowhere to put the bike on stands unless you’re in the paddock road and it’s not wide enough to put a canopy. I heard they were going to pave the whole paddock but I’m not sure if they have since the last race. The bathroom was a portable bathroom that smelled like week old crab meat that had been left in the sun. The other facility bathrooms weren’t horrible I don’t remember if there was hot water or not.

The track it’s self is incredible though.

mpusch likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Hopefully I'm headed there myself and it's a noob track for me. How about hotels nearby or is there camping at the track?

4. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

You can camp there. Hotels are in Youngstown.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Twinsburg and Austintown are probably your best bets for hotels from a geographic standpoint. Can't recommend one in particular. Beachwood area will give more options for food and lodging but a bit further away from the track.

rd400racer likes this.
  6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

So it sounds like no electricity hookups then?

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Think of it as a picnic shelter and an outhouse, that happens to have a nice ring of asphalt around it.

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

As much as my wife loves racing, this might be a harder sell :D

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I was there a few weeks ago. Bathrooms are still barely tolerable.

Paddock is not paved. It’s been dry enough lately that you probably won’t get stuck this weekend, but i would bring tow straps to be safe.

My 3 yr old refused to use the track bathroom, and i couldn’t really fault her. We pulled over and she learned to squat on the side of the road as the preferable alternative. It’s so close to being “acceptable” there, but i wouldn’t count on electricity in the paddock being part of that plan any time soon.

Would bet on paved paddock, more temporary bathrooms, and then maybe real plumbing in 5-10 years. But that’s just my reckless speculation. I live within an hour of the track, so i have never considered a hotel.

Kyle Brosius and mpusch like this.
  10. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there's a gas for sale at the track?

11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

He's not kidding, this is the best description I've seen regarding Nelson's current state.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Is there still a mosquito problem? I heard that it was pretty bad once the sun went down.

13. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

They had 93 octane for $4/gal two weeks ago

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yes. I refer to all the old tires that surround the track as the “malaria wall”.
    The mosquitos will be biting you by 3pm if the conditions are right. I’m not exaggerating.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Wheel Bearing and rk97 like this.
  15. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

The pumps have failed there in the past. Something to consider for the endurance teams.

Ride safe,
    AAron

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the tire walls hold a crazy amount of water.

I climbed over one after laying down a bike between turns 2 and 3(?)

Kept my leathers and helmet on for a long time waiting for the crash truck. Sweating was better than being eaten.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  17. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Those are not mosquitos, they are mosquitosaurs. Just another part of the fun there......

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

At least you can race on this track rain or shine unlike some other high dollar resorts you guys expect to be racing at.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You bring everything you need to Nelson's, and you rely on the track facilities for nothing. If you do that, you're good. I would also bring a sheet of plywood for your bike stands if you don't want to pit in the mud.

20. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Bring some kind of cleaning spray, you'll collect an ungodly amount of gnats on your visor and bike.

DucatiBomber likes this.