1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New race tire age

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nk140, Aug 24, 2019.

1. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I just received an order from Dunlop. The rear tire was fairly new but the front is 4.5 years old. Would you guys trust to run it? The build date of said tire is the 6th week of 2015.

Ray de Nijs likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Who sent it?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

were they purchased as new?? I wouldnt be too happy about that at all.

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We dont use car tires after 6 years fwiw. Known failure rates go up after 6 years. Wouldnt be happy with a tire being sold as new either.

5. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Yes they were sold as new. I am pretty upset about it. I emailed the Dunlop dealer about it earlier today. I order them from Dunlop racing which was in turn shipped from my regional dealer. To compound the issue you can tell this tire was once sold the sticker is missing and the directional arrow was colored with a silver paint pen.

6. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Tt Moto gear which must me my regional Dunlop dealer.

7. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I’d be demanding a new tire for multiple reasons. For starters it’s bullshit to receive a tire that old when purchasing new. Beyond that, that tire was built when the old pricing was in place. So you paid the new higher tire prices for a tire that was built when the tires were cheaper. Me and Steve Brubaker had it out over this the other year, that company makes me roll my eyes on a regular basis.

418 and Snake Charmer like this.
  8. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I am going to ask for my money back or that they send a more current date tire

pscook likes this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah have them replace that shit

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

BS right there... I wouldn’t buy from them again...

DRye likes this.
  11. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Don't know if I have a choice when ordering through dunlopracing website

12. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Keep us informed on how they work it out with you, mistakes happen to everyone. If they make it right, good on them.
    If not, well I certainly would not buy from anyone who sells 4+ year old tires as "new" .

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The relationship with your race tire guy should always start at the track where things like this just don't happen. So get off your computer and find your guy and ask questions first, then once you know them you can buy online if you must. The reason I say this is BECAUSE riders and racers always have questions before, during, and after the sale so who do you call for answers?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  14. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Agreed but there was no tire service at the track today.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So I'm guessing you went to Putnam for the Ducati Indy track day? I'm not shocked that a tire vendor wasn't there but still don't hesitate to call the guy

nk140 likes this.
  16. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

You are correct.

17. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I'd run it until the cords showed :). Pretty sure the one I use in my garage as a spacer isn't even that old!

TLR67 likes this.
  18. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

Spoke with the tire guy. Hopefully this gets rectified soon. I will post what the final resolution is.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

is it even the right compound? I swear the current front compounds arent that old.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Front compounds have been the same for quite awhile now, so even if the front tire was 4.5 years old the compounds are the same (2662 soft/7455 med/8477 med+). This is for both slicks and DOTs.