1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica heading to The Ridge

Discussion in 'General' started by Circacee, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

MA announced on Instagram this am (with a funny thumbnail of Herrin wiping out).

Has anyone ridden this track before? Looks beautiful in pictures.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Never heard of it.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Haven't ridden it, but people seem to really like it.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It’s a effing long way to get there is all i know....

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. Circacee

You guys running MA next year? I might make the trip and sightsee Seattle while I’m there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are they dropping Sonoma or Miller?

7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

IT.IS.EPIC.

Ken

TurboBlew, cajun636, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Good to see Wayne listened to me...

:)

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Jason Pridmore has spoken highly of the place on the podcast.

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the track looks barren on GoogleMaps, lacking anything resembling pro facilitates. I wonder how much they are building before MA races there.

its 75mi from the Seattle Airport. ouch.

Circacee likes this.
  11. Circacee

Funny, I noticed that as well however Sonoma looks like HELL, in desperate need of a repave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Really minimal facilities, the track surface is questionable (final lift has not been applied although planned for years). Zero garages and a couple of stalls in the restrooms. Three showers, I think? As in shower stalls, not buildings.

All of the corners are of camber or blind. Flat at best in a couple of spots. Tarmac at the apex is crumbling. LOTS of steel barriers in impact zones (to keep the car club drivers from careening down the hill or into oncoming traffic). Zero grandstands except for a couple of risers on the back section. The owners/managers LOVE cars and have issues with motorcycles.

I like it for cars, for bikes it's a bit sketchy, I think. I'll get flamed, but that's my opinion.

consumer38 and Steeltoe like this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Website? Some track footage? Anything?

14. younglion

I think a reference point is needed here - have you seen/walked/ridden some of the tracks already on the MA circuit? The Ridge is WAY better than many of them I'd bet.

Facilities as you say are currently lacking but as a racer I couldn't care less about anything not track related - they all have motorhomes then hotels to stay in so I don't think you'll see Elias lining up for a shower at the end of the day.

Steel barriers in impact zones - I raced there 3 years and not once felt I had to adjust my risk level for barriers, granted my pace won't be what MA Pro's have of course.

15. younglion

- go to youtube
    - search Ken Hill, Ridge (or for race footage search wmrra, formula ultra, the ridge)

2 things: - I'm faster than him - woohoo! LOLOL... and this is a good reference for the track and lines to use of course, filmed last summer I believe.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    khill and Steeltoe like this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

How to reconcile posts 6 and 11?

17. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

I just raced there this past weekend with wmrra. It’s a pretty cool layout.

Maybe MotoAmerica will use the alternate configuration (before turn 1) to make it a bit safer.

18. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh has minimal facilities as well.. as does just about every track. Most teams set up at their trailer anyway.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not everyone has a shower in their trailer, particularly the low rent Twins class. I would hope a few more facilities would be ready by then.

As far as 75 miles from a major airport, that is no worse than Road America, and better than VIR.

Cool to see a new venue.

20. jbammin

jbammin Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll decide to add power!

Its an epic track with tons of elevation change, and yes, blind corners.