1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muzzy Superbike for auction on BAT

Discussion in 'General' started by elvee, Jun 28, 2019.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Do you think that would have made a difference in the long run? I seem to remember that he had a pretty good team preparing the bikes.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes I absolutely think it would have mattered. He had a local to him team and a good team but not remotely the best builders/tuners out there that could be hired (sorry to them but if they think about it they'll agree). Stanboli and Muzzy are always the first two who come to mind from that era but there are many others. Yosh that he bitched about is a perfect example, Yoshimura builds the bikes not Suzuki. They may get the bikes earlier than other teams could but that's about it. They do the development, they make the parts, they build the bikes. Same as Stanboli does and Muzzy did.

His complaint was ridiculous at the time and yet people keep repeating it. I truly don't get it when reality isn't that hard to see.

3. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Gemini, the VR1000 pepes?

stk0308 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not going any further as I'm sure I've already pissed off people :D

precipitous likes this.
  5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Isn’t that your sole purpose in this place? :beer:

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's one of the major perqs for sure :D

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. 57x

57x Out riding

I just love these kind of naive comments out in public. If you knew the background on the engine alone in this bike, you would realize what a collector's item it is. Most call the 95 gear drive engine in that bike folklore, that it doesn't exist. Well, Muzzy made seven of those engines in 95. A gear drive so loud, most people would want to run over to tell them to shut it off before the engine seized. They ran with hand built cases and parts. Different firing order (Kawasaki called it altered order), custom, one-off camshafts and cams. Hand alerted heads and cylinders with bizarre gear drive assemblies.

We giggle about power today. They were able to squeeze almost 160rwhp out of a 2mm over 750cc engine. You do the math on what liter bikes make with today's technology, extrapolating engine size and running crappy carburetors with 30 year old technology.

$22K would have been a steal. The engine is worth that much. I'd put it on my coffee table.

If you were crazy enough to race that bike, God be with you. Muzzy threw most of the replacement parts in dumpsters. Ask me how I know.

This is collectors items pricing, not race bike pricing anymore. This will end up in someone's living room in Europe, Japan or Australia and will probably sell closer to $40K.

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

If I had the money, I’d buy it, hire a machinist to open the engine up and then build me a replica cutout identical engine just to show the internals of the engine on a stand next to the bike. I’ve had that idea for an RC30 too.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Muzzy used to get those juicy contracts from Kawi til they didnt want to pay his # anymore. He made yella ferrari monays from just accessories for Kawis... especially zx11s, zrxs and zx12s...

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

How do you know?

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious why you dredge up a 2 month old thread to post this????

Answer me that first and then, MAYBE, I'll ask you how you know.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You can price it for what you want but if someone won't pay it, oh well.

worthless likes this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Meh, cool bike no doubt but price, value and worth are greatly subjective based on each individuals perspective. Someone could offer and pay $1,000,000 for it. This wouldn’t make it worth $1,000,000 necessarily, only that someone was willing to pay that amount for it. I don’t think anyone is or has been slagging on the bike. It’s cool as sh!t.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Firstly, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The market doesn't care what the owner thinks it's worth. Unless it sold since I wrote my comment, it seems it's only worth that kind of money to the owner as of today. And maybe to some others who can't afford it, but that's not going to help the owner sell it.

Secondly, getting into the reading comprehension part, my opinion that it's not worth what they seem to want for it has nothing to do with what was spent building it. Price versus cost, two different things. That's why shit depreciates. Or appreciates, depending on the case. Right now, Bring a Trailer seems to be hinting at depreciation.

Lastly, if someone bought it and raced it in a vintage class until it broke before parking it in their living room, how would that change anything to the bike's value, if the enlightened opinion is that it should be in a living room anyway? Would you know that it has melted valves from looking at it in someone's living room?

Anyway, please let us know when that European collector buys it for $40k. I'll be the first to congratulate him on his new toy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
    Shenanigans likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s the real problem buying at these big production auctions; no key, can’t start it, can’t see the mileage on digital dashes, can’t pull the bodywork, etc. People are really rolling the dice, buying anything from there.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If your purchase is to ride it then yes, the buyer would want to know the mechanical condition to make an assessment on value and worth. However, running condition is irrelevant to static art display.

17. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

i'd rather buy one of the obscure bike's speedwerks been getting lately... some of those give me.....

ducnut and pscook like this.