1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’m leaning toward the tech 7 enduro or Gaerne or Sidi. The tech 7s remind me of snowboard boots for some reason but look comfy. I like the sole on the Sidi and Gaerne. All of em look like they have good ankle support.

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Ill say it again SC12s are where its at. I hit all the semi local shops trying different boots on, went through all my riding buddies boots and the only boots i thought would work were the 12s. Im a year in and they just keep getting better. I use them 50/50 for motocross and woods riding. All my buddies with narrow feet swear by the Sidis but i couldnt make them work.

3. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

What he said. I've run total mud races in the pouring rain with the SGs and been fine, but I wasn't getting off to go hiking in them either.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

So, what the hell - here's my KTM 250 XC-F build. It's a 2017 model that was bought new and I've finally gotten bored enough to write about it. As usual, starting with a brand new out-of-the-crate bike is nice. Especially with dirt bikes what with all the dirt, and KTMs in particular since it seems like the Austrians really hate putting grease, on anything.

I'll write more about it over the next few weeks.

Fresh off the floor, only the KTM catalog skid plate wasn't stock. The dealer doesn't even both with installing the handguards or the WP fork stickers. But hey, there was no line in the bill of sale for set up and delivery.
    2017 ktm 250 XC-F build-42.jpg

And ended up:
    Rekluse clutch kit, Trail Tech Voyager GPS, Cycra ProBend handguards, Bullet Proof armor, Acerbis plastics, FMF Q4, P3 pipe guard and a street legal kit from SICASS.
    2017 ktm 250 XC-F build-353.jpg

Details to come, whenever I Get around to it.

ducnut, Phl218, terminus est and 2 others like this.
  5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i was a HUGE Gaerne fanboy up until last season. slipped on a pair of tech7, and the tech7 enduro boots at the shop, bought a pair of each, AND SWITCHED THE MRS OVER TOO. both of us were like, where have these boots been all our riding lives?

tech 8, and tech10 have their place but, they need to be broken in BIGTIME, and are mostly for big air, mx, sx stuff. very pleased with the tech7 platform. Ski

6. skidooboy

also, Plarp... nice choice, i have the EXACT SAME BIKE, LOVE IT FOR THE WOODS RIDING WE DO.

i cant find that carbon fibre pipe shield on p3's website... any help? Ski

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Resident Plarp

When I get back to the office tomorrow, I'll find the part number for you.

Also, I know you are (were?) somewhere in Michigan - I'm headed up to the Baldwin area Saturday morning. Will probably ride Tin Cup, or one of the MCCCT trails in the Baldwin area. I like to ride two hours, non-stop, in case you want to come hit some trees with me.

8. Resident Plarp

Supposedly, Akrapovic is the OEM supplier for the KTM header.

And since we're on the subject of pipe guards, I dented the resonator, expansion chamber, or whatever it's called, because I suck at wheelies. Rather than waste my moolah on a new header, I went it Mickey Shorr (inside joke) and got a P3 pipe guard.
    2017 ktm 250 XC-F build-319.jpg

The kit comes with three stainless steel mounting tabs to hold it all together. After 60+ of abuse and a few heavy crashes, it's held up pretty well.
    2017 ktm 250 XC-F build-321.jpg

I did pull the P3 sticker off, however, because sponsorship isn't free!
    2017 ktm 250 XC-F build-318.jpg

9. skidooboy

still in mich, have vacation place north of sault ste marie in canukistan. we rode last weekend at beaver creek mcct. our friends john and karen bunker are the "care takers" of that section of the trail. loose plan this week is to hit tomahawk c trail on way north, then kinross, then up to our place to mow, and ride 2 tracks. appreciate the invite. really appreciate the part number for the pipe guard, burnt a pair of pants on it already... no dents though. :D Ski

10. skidooboy

found aomc has the pipe guard listed, ordered from them. hope they can still get it. sounds like they ARE p3 composites. thanks for the inspiration. Ski

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Headed to Hatfield/McCoy 10/19 if any of you ladies are in the area.

12. eggfooyoung

Saturday at Redbird, the beginning of a single track section. 15706279647630.jpg 15706279648541.jpg 15706279649322.jpg

britx303, cpettit and MELK-MAN like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i put these on all my ktms.. pretty solid header guards. and the OEM ktm headers are pretty rugged. I'd avoid titanium for sure for a dirt bike. thin, weak, etc. And the oem mufflers are INCREDIBLE. 700 hours on my 2014 350xcf, original packing. pulled it out one time and slid it back in. my 2016 just rolled 400 hrs, same. have thee 250f's now, two have 200+ hrs. wouldn't dream of putting aftermarket systems on em

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I completely agree.

I live ~7mi from an ORV area and can hear 4T’s at my place. When users complain of areas being closed to ORV’s, the noise is partly why. I’m completely onboard with stock exhausts and trying to keep the peace to keep areas open for everyone.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

A few from 172 at Hatfield McCoy yesterday... 15714904432842.jpg 15714904431051.jpg 15714904430400.jpg 15714904718814.jpg 15714904718563.jpg 15714904721995.jpg

MELK-MAN, britx303 and masshole like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Gnarly stuff, man. Whew!

17. eggfooyoung

A few more. It doesn't look like it, but to the right of the gas line is pretty damn steep. 15714909639596.jpg 15714909640638.jpg 15714909640117.jpg

18. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

For normal to wide feet in sidi, the crossfire 3 TA is what you want. The sewn on sole makes for more room wide to side.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just bought a 2019 KTM 150SX... mountainbike with a rocket pack. Still bone stock so no point adding pics yet. Picked it up to learn MX as I suck on that aspect of Sumo racing, already had a friend mention they've got sumo wheels that'll fit... bad ideas incoming... :D

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.