1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebike diy conversions

Discussion in 'General' started by baconologist, Aug 22, 2019.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

i ran across Dillenger conversion kits. Anyone have experience with them? I’m looking at the 1000w rear hub kit for an old road bike I have. I need the exercise but the hills around here kill me being an old fat fart.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a friend who converts his own bikes. I thought that he was on the board but I can't find his handle. Let me know if you want his email and I'll try to get you all in touch with each other.

Late edit: His handle is @dakh if you want to message him through the board.

3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

1000w is a lot.
    Friend of mine just did a conversion with a 500w motor. I will ask more about it next time I see him, but he seems happy with it.

It does add quite a bit of weight to the bike though.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was out on the trail (just a flat running/biking trail) the other day and had a flat. I'm poking along really slow trying to make it back to the truck because the tire isn't totally deflated and because I'm a dumbass for leaving my patch kit on my other bike, when I hear "on your left - hey looks like you're tire's going flat" as this fat fucker flies by me at really high speed. I try to yell at him but he's wearing headphones and moving way too fast. As he disappears into the distance, I'm thinking to myself "how is a guy that fat in such good shape that he can go so fast?". A little while later I catch up to him when he's stopped at a scenic lookout. Asshole was on an E-bikeo_O

5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Why were you going to yell at the guy? He not only gave you a heads up and even took the time to warn you about your tire.

Cannoli likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:Pop: I'm waiting for a response.

rafa likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I already knew it was going flat. I was trying to get his attention to ask if he had a pump.

And I was going to ask him if he’d be willing to send a dick pic to @speedluvn

rafa likes this.
  8. speedluvn

You know its suspect asking for dick pictures, DEEP in the woods on a trail . . . for a friend, right? That's worst then toe tapping at an airport men's restroom stall.

Chris and Cannoli like this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

^^^The voice of experience

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. ton

ton Arf!

Right?! I'm learning about all kinds of "tricks" i didn't even know existed.

also,

worse. than.

11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Alright. Some schooling needs to be done here. Motors aren’t really limited to certain watt rating. The controllers are.

So you can have a 500w motor and a better controller and pump serious amperage through it. 10 years ago I converted my mountain bike to ebike for commute.

Chinese kit, 750w motor, aftermarket programmable controller. Went from a 24v battery setup to up to 75v. Max speed in 75v configuration was 80km/h. Certain amperage draw setting would pump as much as 5kw into that motor. Short bursts it’s fine.

For normal commute I had it in 48v battery config and that gave me 50km/h cruising speed.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Me every time someone says kmh instead of mph and I have to convert it.
    [​IMG]

badmoon692008, TurboBlew and 5axis like this.
  13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Join the rest of the world mang.

Join the

14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

[​IMG]

Rebel635 and rafa like this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Ride a bicycle or ride a motorcycle. :D

16. baconologist

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some clydesdales are faster than they look...lol. Our local dealer is kind of a husky guy, not in the best of shape... and he said he could give cat 1 & 2 guys a pretty good head start and run them down.
    I havent seen a "really" fast guy on an E-bike at any of my local trails. I hear threats of folks borrowing one... especially on the 4.5 mile pedalthon segment. Avg speed for the top 5 guys is ~10.0 mph. Avg watts is 70 with an time of under 20 mins. I really believe those guys ain't showing what they can really do since all the times are within 20 seconds of each other.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't know what any of that means:crackup: This guy was obviously using more electric and less leg.

19. baconologist

Well technically......

20. speedluvn

Are you sure you had a flat or did you hear this Clydesdale chasing you down on a single speed pedal bike (no electric motor :rolleyes:) and you had nothing left! I’m asking for a friend :Poke:

Cannoli and TurboBlew like this.