1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Rotors

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Hmm, learn something new ... never heard about Phenolic pistons. The calipers were new when installed so it couldn't have been caused by pushing them back in on a brake service. My guess is they bound (even though Phenolic is supposed to lessen that happening) and over heated. Was just read on some other truck forums the suggestion that phenolic pistons don't age well with the high heat and freezing cycles in more northern locals. No idea if that's true or not ... but one of the guys with and F250 posted pics similar to my 2nd one above.

ducnut likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well call them what they really are...

Phenolic is a fancy way of saying cheap shit plastic pistons.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Reading up a bit more, I now understand that some rebuilders will reuse phenolic pistons in the remanufacturing of calipers. How wonderfully environmentally conscious of them to recycle plastics!

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We've done rear brakes on F2-350's in the past with what felt like ok calipers, meaning the pistons traveled in ok with no apparent binding etc, only to return in a week with brake drag issues caused by the caliper. It seems to be a propensity of ford calipers (rears especially) to do this and I don't know why, but I always replace them now if they are 60k miles or over. Anything with 100K and has original calipers gets new ones. It's just funny over the whole spectrum of vehicles fords do this so often I can predict it. We see it with other brands but not nearly the same volume. Its just not worth my time or the customer's frustration to bother with. In reality we both lose money. This is I the rust belt though, definitely will vary in other climates.

ducnut, Gecko and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shit, I didn’t need rear brakes on my ‘03 Ram until 193k miles. Ran the same calipers until she blowed up at 337k.

Just put rears on the ‘05 Ram dually, rotors, pads and parking brake shoes, plus wheel seals. Pistons retracted fine and dandy and weren’t cracked to shit(they appear to be phenolic or ceramic, not steel).

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Picked up a Makita 1/2 impact drill (I have the batteries and chit ) and made taking the lug nuts off a breeze. The jack asses at Firestone torqued them so hard I broke a socket with my breaker bar. No chance id get them off if I was on the side of the road. Usually don't go to Firestone but had to in a pinch.. but it gave the excuse to buy a new tool instead of asking my buddy who owns a shop to just loosen them for me :)

[​IMG]

7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I suggest that replacement socket should be impact socket for your own safety.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. Why are you trying to remove lugnuts with a 16pt standard socket?

gixxerboy55 and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

He had a breaker bar on it, not the impact right? If so, at normal torque specs it shouldn't be a problem. That said, I too have impact sockets that I use for hard to break bolts with my breaker bar.

Edit: or just use my impact :).

10. Venom51

I don't know...which cheap Chinese company do you buy tools from that managed to make a 16pt socket?

Question ohh person of extremely high intellect. How many sides does a hex nut have?

Now guess how many points that it also has. Now explain the geometry behind a 16 pt. socket. :D

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Still, a 16pt isn't going to be as strong as an 8. Look how thin that little thing is.

12. Venom51

8 point would be for square drive. Can't say I have ever run across a 16 point socket.

He should at the least be using a 6 point and not a 12 point. Impact would be better still.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fuck. You know what I meant.

ScottyRock155 likes this.
  14. Venom51

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Cuz I just grabbed whatever was closest to the breaker bar in the bottom drawer bypassing my sonic tools tool box and good stuff not thinking id have to use my man strength to get a lug nut off :)

I have impact sockets for the new gun though. Yesterday was expensive

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Better question is why wouldn't you use that socket with a breaker bar on what should be no more then 120lbs/ft or so nuts? There is always better, but that should have been much more then enough.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The problem was it doesn't look like it was on the nut fully, combined with it being 12pt and just a chromie socket at that, also combined with the side leverage induced by using a breaker bar or ratchet in general.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And obviously the wrong number of points...........................:rolleyes:

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds