1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Individual Rider CoachIng

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Aug 21, 2019.

1. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I did some coaching with Geoff May... great experience with the 1:1. We were at Jennings and focusing on just one technique we were dropping on average 1sec per session. Even Ken Hill has an episode on choosing the right coach for your development. It’s not as cheap as going to a track day coach, but man, well worth the money!

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm an all around handy man, home remodeling, projects of all types. Been wrenching on cars since I was 14. I do pretty much all of my own mechanical work on my bike. Learning about suspension setup would be nice. Right now I just pay the trackside vendor to do it for me

3. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

unfortunately if you haven't signed up for acc labor day last i looked Monday full course where the only open spots for intermediate. if you call ahead many events you can do pro race license school that is one on one coaching for the day normally doubles the cost of the day so if the day is 175 for track time +175 for pro school instruction= so $350 for the day with one on one instruction. you need to call around a week in advance.
    if you get a chance next season to come to Grattan for the Friday before wera races normally these are 30 minute session and pro school is offerd and we do practice starts at the end of lunch.

https://www.sportbiketracktime.com/

4. lopitt85

I just looked and I would have to sign up for novice the first 2 days and intermediate the last day. I hadn't thought about doing the race license school. But you're saying I could do the school, get my license, and get one on one coaching?

All 3 days are $510 right now. Race certificate class is $125. So for $635 I could do all 3 days and potentially get my race license? And get 1 on 1 coaching I've been thinking about? That's sounds too good to be true.

5. lopitt85

I'm about to get the bundle. What group does the license class ride with?

6. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

you will only get the race license class the one day. which should be one on one for the day (i don't normally coach ACC so i can't promise).if you pass you will get a certificate at the end.
    Crystal should be able to answer all those questions. call the 1888 number tomorrow

7. lopitt85

Thx for the info. I'll give her a call tomorrow.

Sounds like I'm understanding you properly. I'd have the novice class the first two day with the normal access to coaches/control riders. Then the last day will be the class, and the chance to earn my race license. I'm getting pumped thinking about. Can't wait to call tomorrow.

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

If you were on the west coast I'd have some suggestions for you. That being said, having taught at track days for a few years while I was racing, you can get some good instruction at some track days. We, Z2 trackdays, always had instructors available, I'd guess many others do too. I also believe that most really fast guys can't teach, because they can't explain how they go fast. And a lot of and a lot of guys that are pretty fast, but not always at the front seem to be able to explain how they do what they do on track.
    My mentor when I started racing was rarely on track with me, but we did a lot of discussion in the pits. It was a huge help even though he wasn't following me around to critique me all the time.

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Race license school is not the same as a pro school. No guarantee of one on one instruction, it is geared around what information you are required to know for the various race orgs to qualify for your provisional race license.

Pitmom42 likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn. :bow:
    How much did he improve? :D

ToofPic, TurboBlew and Jesse like this.
  11. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That’s the thing... and I’m learning more of this... we try to be fast and bite off too much when we’re at the track. We simply focused on acceleration out of the corners, and drilled it all day... that said previously my best lap time there was in 25s... by the end of the weekend I was in 19s... and that’s all from working on ONE technique.

TurboBlew and lopitt85 like this.
  12. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... is there a joke I missed?

13. lopitt85

That's pretty amazing.

14. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Geoff’s the man! If you’re ever traveling down south, reach out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pawpawrc likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:whoosh:

Not at all.

16. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

How 'bout for the cost of my track day and a 6 pack of Guinness I will coach you at BHF, Autobahn or Road America. I haven't coached before so we can both learn something new haha Can't promise you'll get better but we'll have a great time!

17. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That’s exactly right... read the rule book, here are the flags, here are the boards, don’t miss the calls, don’t crash. Class over.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Come on, man. It's not funny if I have to explain it. :D
    You made it sound like you were the coach.

19. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Just go out and race.

Survive T1, the rest is a *like track day session

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That’s what I thought... lol my brain is fried from work...