1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 GSXR 600 Broken Crank - anybody see this failure? Advice on upgrades

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hardluck700, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Hardluck700

Hardluck700 Well-Known Member

I have an engine that has a broken crank. Fortunately, when it broke, it didn’t take anything out. The PTO continued rotate with the crank. It didn’t crash the valves into the piston.

I plan to put a used crank in it. I’ll do it the right way. Any advice on upgrades while I’m in the engine? It’s a spare and I am learning on it. I’ll use it for track days.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One thing I regularly see at the track is riders winging the shit out of their engines, as if they’re a pro. If there’s no paycheck, provided race budget, engine builder on staff, trailer full of spares, etc, then, always short-shift the engine to save it. RPM, over time, breaks cranks.

I set my last shift light to 200rpm over the dyno-verified hp peak, which was well below redline.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm not a metallurgist but it looks funny how that large face looks like it broke at a different time than the piece below the oil gallery. Looks like it had been at least cracked for a while and the last piece let loose.

4. Hardluck700

Thanks for the input. The engine didn’t break on me. I bought the engine after it failed. I’m interested more than anything. I’ve got two of these same GSXR’s for TD’s. They both are fine for now. I wanted to build this one, just in case (or when) one of them goes out. This hobby is a sickness. Ugh!

I’m more interested to know what I should, or should not do as I put it back together.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Username checks out.

ducnut likes this.
  6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Replace the oil pump.

MELK-MAN, Odilup and Steeltoe like this.
  7. Hardluck700

Thanks! That’s the kind of advice I’d like to hear. It’s $150 of insurance.

Do they go out often on race and track applications?

8. Chako

Chako Well-Known Member

It may have been compromised by the debris and metal melting and falling into the oil in the oil.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

+1. "Pre broke" I have heard this referred to.

10. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Also replace heat exchanger.

11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if is was crashed on that side sometime in the past and compromised the crank.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

seems to have helped me over years.. warming an engine up at least 15min or more before i hit the track. See lots of people start the bike up for the first time that day, as they are putting helmet on to head out at 3rd call . Not ideal if you ask me. Do same for my dirt bikes. Start and warm up as i'm getting dressed to ride and prepping hydration pack, etc.
    Learned something on my last r6 build too. Check cases for warpage prior to full assembly. Bolt mains down with just the crank and ensure it spins free before you put put rod caps on.

tigerblade, Odilup and Steeltoe like this.