1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring new construction for cable/tv/internet?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Aug 20, 2019.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'm pulling tv internet cable today on my new construction. Question is do I home run every outlet? Or can I home run every room and split it between the two cable outlets in each room?

6 rooms will be wired with rg6 quad sheild. Each room had 2 or 3 outlets.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If the walls are open, do a home run for all boxes and run spare cables in case one gets cut (be sure to label them). Just my opinion.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Home run everything.

XFBO, TurboBlew, beac83 and 2 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

What the said. Be Like Pete Alonso and mash those home runs. Also much easier for maintenance.

R1M370 likes this.
  5. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Home run. Every time you do a split somewhere it will weaken the signal. I'd also run Cat6 x 2 everywhere. WiFi sucks.

XFBO, BigBird and R1M370 like this.
  6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Homerun to an interior structured media enclosure, nice having that in the air conditioning when you're installing or trouble shooting.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Don't bother with the little bullshit wiring cabinets you see in the big box stores either. A good simple piece of plywood and the appropriate patch panels and distribution blocks are all that is required. If done well it is easier to deal with as well. Most importantly....label...label....and when all else fails label. Be methodical. Don't bother with anything other than RJ45 jacks everywhere either. The middle pair works just fine for that wireless phone system base station and RJ11 plugs work in them as well. This allows you the flexibility to place anything anywhere in the house. Also remember when deciding how many cat5 lines to run that they are cheap and having more than needed in a room is never a bad thing. Anything that doesn't leave the house gets a wire. Wireless is for devices that come and go and for convenience. If you want shit to work...wire it. Once you know how many lines you are running...buy that many switch ports. Plan on that switch becoming part of the house. If you sell the house the new owners get the switch. If you aren't a networking geek you don't need anything fancy...you just need the correct number. If you plan to do clever things Ubiquiti makes some really nice and well priced managed switches.

I always run an RG6 and a cat5. You can't go wrong running multiples of cat5 however that is also easily solve with a small 4 port switch if you need more than one at that location. Our current house was prewired by the builder and is a single drop build out so for my needs I run managed switches in the gear rack down stairs as well as in some places a small 8 port managed switch so that I can run trunks and VLANs for segregating bullshit IOT devices from the important gear in the house.

Also make sure to drop a cat5 line in the center hallways of each floor to service an good access point. Again Ubiquiti makes good APs that blend in well when ceiling mounted.

When we sell this house the switch gear will get pulled out of the rack and mounted to the plywood service wall and I'll leave the login details for the new owner.

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There have been some rather extensive previous threads on this as well. Search is your friend. :D

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I've run two Cat-5E and 1 RG-6 Quad Shield to each location, all home-run to the aforementioned plywood board in the garage, basement, or utility closet.

You can install Cat-6 or Cat-6A, but in a home installation it won't give you any additional functionality unless you really plan on running 10 Gigabit Ethernet in your home. If you are planning on needing 10Gb Ethernet, install single-mode or multi-mode fiber instead.

Cat6/6A is harder to work with and costs more, too.

rd49 likes this.
  10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

also, run the speaker wire to all ceilings above your rooms now and drop them into you AV closet. Shits super cheap for 16/4 and you can run 1 piece for each set of speakers since it has 4 wires in it.

Good god if I ever built a home from scratch the crazy shot I’d have. I already have some cool stuff but with speaker cable and Cat6 my house would be nuts.

11. peakpowersports

So I almost died of heat stroke but home ran 20 coax. Put 2 Cat 6e in the media/wiring closet and ran 1 to the second floor and one to the basement for access points. Also ran an HDMI from the closet to the living room tv area. Should be good enough. I'm going to pull audio cable to the living room today for surround sound. Thanks for the help all.

BigBird likes this.
  12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

How far is the hdmi run? Also, did you use the fiber hdmi or regular? I will only ever use the fiber stuff or make sure it’s shielded from now on. Too many problems with interference on the crappy cables which isn’t an issue with the fiber stuff.

I’d double check what you ran before you close the walls/ceiling and then have problems. I’m not a fan of hdmi but unfortunately a lot of times there are no alternatives. I tried to minimize the issues when I reran mine.

Sounds like you ran a lot!

new

13. peakpowersports

I'll have to check the spec on the HDMI spec, but its aprox 30 feet so pretty short. Lucky its on an interior wall that can be swapped out down the road. I'm a week or so from drywall so I can still change it out pretty easily. I also ran a cat 6e to the TV (living room) form the media closet. And yes, I ran a lot.. 2500 feet!

zamboiv likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Run a section of “smurf tube” (ENT) between the media cabinet and the display location. That way you can pull a new cable when the standards change and you need a different cable than what’s installed.

The RG6 and Cat5e are ubiquitous, I don’t foresee ever needing to go beyond those (I’ll echo @beac83 that Cat6 is a pain in the dick yo work with and doesn’t offer anything in residential installations that isn’t met by Cat5e)

15. peakpowersports

I have a smurf tube going from floor one to floor two, floor one to basement and from basement to second floor. Insulation is spray foam so I wanted to make sure that in the future I can pull wire, cable or what ever the hell else pops up.

BigBird likes this.
  16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

CAT6 is only need for Industrial applications. Just use CAT5E for residential.