1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would absolutely love a hot tub, I get voted down repeatedly. I could mostly fit in the garden tub in the master bath but the boss has it full of plant holders with orchids on them, they love the bathroom :D

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Now thinking about it, I more vetoed a tub than the Mrs in all honesty. Since the bathroom is small enough, well I think a bathtub looks old, and outdated, I was looking at the Kerdi stuff and was like a bench and pan would work out with the same issues of getting old, and no chair needed. For the next folks with little kids, inflatable pool, or build a wall with a hole in the middle, since walls are so "in" these days anyway

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is some clever tub shower combo stuff out there but for anything you'd want to live with and look at the prices get steep pretty quickly.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have no interior decorating skills. Can you post a link????

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Mongols tub....Lake Allatoona.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Too chilly even in summer :D

7. speedluvn

Ahh, the interior decorator has arrived. Can you recommend a "clever tub shower combo"?

8. ChemGuy

[​IMG]
    Use these and man the eff princess.

And for soaking away your aches and pains do it like our forefathers did....

[​IMG]

All you damn metro sexuals and your flat drain, steam shower, leave in conditioner using asses is what's wrong with this country.

Wet naps, electrical/duct tape, superglue, scotch/bourbon and good TP. That's all you need for a quality bathroom.

Which by the way is called bathroom because of...you know...a bath tub....guess we will have to start calling it the non-bathing specific method room so all non binary gender folks don't get mad at us for assigning a bathing method to the room that it may not identify with.

:D

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can self level and then put the heatmat(assuming it's ditra heat) on that. And I would rip out the drywall for the shower and start new. There's no reason to use durarock. You can water proof the durarock with kerdi buts it's really not needed to have durarock. Durarock isnt waterproof I wouldn't recommend using that instead of kerdi.

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

The floor is not ditra heat, but a mat that that was linked earlier in this thread.

The drywall is definitely out and only using Kerdi there. Walls and pan have arrived just waiting to work on the drain.

In order of operations here, what's the best way to go: shower pan, floor, walls or is there some other better order?

11. noles19

What are you using for a pan?

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Kerdi off-center pan with their kurb

Sent from my smatrfone

13. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

IMG_3461.JPG just moved into this new house that has the rock bottom in the shower but the water doesn’t fully drain,it pools up around the drain. We have a meeting with builder soon, but just want to confirm this will cause issues down the road. It’s like the lip around the drain is too tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Venom51

Hey look...another tile shower that will need to replaced again in 5 years..

joec and Paige like this.
  15. speedluvn

Are you questioning the validity of my man-card possession? By the way, scotch taste like ass. :Poke:

joec likes this.
  16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Or earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ChemGuy

Yes.

And you would know...

:D

18. Venom51

Apparently that one might not make it that long if someone set the drain too high.

19. speedluvn

Shouldn’t you have recommended Messengill feminine wipes for that April fresh feeling?

20. noles19

I would get the floor level and prepared, but not tiled. Then install the pan and curb and water proof the walls etc. Then lay the wall tile, then the shower floor and curb, and then the bathroom floor tile.
    The reason for that is the bathroom floor needs to be levelish because of the pan, if you were doing a mud pan you could level with the mud. The kerdi is better just harder to level if the floor is out of level.

BigBird likes this.