1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have shot NRL22 for about a year and a half, mostly with my CZ455. I am very tempted to buy a T1X(I'm a Tikka T3x guy), but probably wouldn't use it for NRL. Keep in mind that you may be very tempted to move up from Base Class to Open at some point, as Base Class tends to be very lightly entered. Of course then you'll be up against Voodoo's.
    Either gun is a real good choice. I prefer a wood stock over plastic, advantage CZ, but I like the T3 compatibility, advantage T1x.
    Both are easy to switch barrels on, but CZs have more current option.
    In short, either is a really good option and the difference would come down to small differences and possible future plans.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Look at Eurooptics or sport optics for the gen 2 razor if you go that route. Get a little bit better pricing and better service.

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Better glass, lens, larger tube & larger objective bringing in more light. You should be able to shoot great with .either one

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Better glass, better components, heavier, different reticle options. Is it worth it, you'll have to answer that, they will both do the job. The Razor will do it better, and Euro optic or CS Tactical would be my choice for the purchase. In between you could get a Athlon Ares or Cronus, they're both good too.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have a Viper Gen2 and it's a good scope and will be work well for you. If I were you, I'd save the $1k and then spend $515 for a Bartlein RPR barrel. That will probably do more for your shooting than a Razor scope.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I think as others have said, I'd get the PST II scope, it's a solid choice and will work well paired with the RPR. I'd spend the extra money on training, ammo, trigger or barrel. any of those will improve your shooting more so than the glass.

that being said it's hard to go wrong with top level glass, which the Razor HD is considered.

I've got a Burris XTR II 5-25 that I might sell. I bought it last year and it's been sitting on my shelf waiting for a new rifle. Now that the rifle is about here I've saved up more and might spend some extra $$ and get something nicer. retailed for $1400, would sell it for $800 if anyone is interested. It's been mounted but not shot. FFP SCR-MIL illuminated reticle (Part # 201054).

8. Newsshooter

If you haven't shot a lot buying the PST and 1K rounds of ammo makes more sense to me as well. I'd get the PST or the Athlon Ares over the Burris. Sold mine, glass wasn't that great, turrets and tracking are good. Hoping the Gen III will be better.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Listen to these guys, all great advice. I'll just add that what you are seeing here is the point of diminishing return, and crossing over that point. You are paying a lot more for features that won't make you a better shooter. Yes the Razor is better, but the $ can be better spent.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I greatly appreciate the advice. Kinda figured that was the case but wanted some reassurance I wasn't gonna go fuck I shouldn't have cheeped out on this.

11. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We got a Ruger Precision in 22lr in the shop yesterday for a customer. Takes the 10-22 mags. Threaded bull barrel. Good weight to it. I was really impressed.

12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I know nothing but wanted something to play with, ended up with a cz 455 vpt. Only took it out last weekend after buying it 3yrs ago...

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's a long time for a gun to sit invited. I had a 22 that I'd hadn't shot in the 15 years I'd owned it, but that was planned.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have a savage-10 FCP in .223
    I'm thinking of getting it re-barreled into either .308 or .6mm Creedmore.
    Needs to be threaded for AAC 51T suppressor mount.

Any recommendations on an aftermarket barrel?

Newsshooter likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Buddy of mine has an AI 300WM with a S&B on top of it that sat in the safe for 7 years before he ever shot it. And I had to tell him to bring it out for me to shoot so we could zero it.

RichB likes this.
  16. Newsshooter

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

IF you want a top shelf barrel, get a Bartlein 7 or 7.5 twist 5R in 6 Creedmoor. Next would be a Kreiger or Brux. I have a Criterion in 7-08 on my Savage and its pretty decent.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's a guy who obviously has more money than I do!

19. Newsshooter

20. Kyle Deg

Kyle Deg Active Member

I agree with this guy, I have two Athlon scopes one on my bergara bmp-14 and my 270. Ive owned most of the top brand scopes previously. The Athlon is plenty of glass for 90% of shooters, plus you can spend the money you saved on more rounds to put down range.