1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this helmet pass tech.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Aug 17, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Just curious. Would they fail it because of the scuffs.

Attached Files:

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I don't know for sure but, just for the hell of it I'm gonna guess probably not.

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Has it been in an accident? If it was and it was my helmet, I wouldn’t take the chance that it was compromised and wouldn’t protect my head on the track. I’d probably wear it in the street though because the speed is so much less.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Put a vale sticker over it.
    Problem solved

:D

BHP41 and Steeltoe like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

Speed of your motorcycle has nothing to do with how hard you hit your head.

OP, it might, it might not depends on who inspect it.

I wouldn't chance it just because it's not worth the stress of going through tech with questionable gear.

badmoon692008 and stk0308 like this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Crashed in it or did it fall out the back of your tailgate and hit the ground?

7. assjuice cyrus

He low sided and jamed his knee and rolled to get off the track and scuffed it. So no impact to the helmet.

8. fastedyamaha

Sure it does. Force=mass times acceleration. Therefore doing 35 mph on a Harley on the street is way different than 125 mph on the track.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Your forward speed has nothing to do with how hard you hit the ground, hell if anything the forward momentum helps to dissipate the energy of the fall. Lots of head inquires tend to happen in slower speed crashes.

Also, you're much less likely to hit a solid object at the track vs. street. Like you know, a car.

You got some false logic going on there but continue...

condon66, stk0308 and Dragginass like this.
  10. fastedyamaha

You’re right and Isaac Newton was wrong. Sheesh. Millions and millions of high schoolers will be very relieved to hear all about your new theory in their physics classes and how it will make their lives easier with less complicated problem solving.

11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

The scuffs do not appear bad. if you move the liner out of the way, and look at the foam interior that is where you find the problem. If the foam liner is ok then yes it would pass tech if the scuffs are not to bad.

12. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Both are correct in this instance. I have witnessed many of things at the track, and one was a friend who died going no more than 40 mph. When I have wrecked numerous times at over 100mph but yet still alive.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

What's the build date? Can't be over 5 years old no matter what the condition.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I can barely see any scratches. Take a picture inside if you want to show detail. I'd wear it, guess its up to tech guys?

15. assjuice cyrus

1 yr old

Razr likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Are the scuffs on the paint only..ie. no damage to actual fiberglass shell??? If not I'd wear it and not worry about it. now a tech guy may say no so maybe pick up a clean helmet for backup, just in case.

17. assjuice cyrus

We have spare just in case. Was just trying to get some opinions.

18. Not necessarily, depends on a lot of factors, angle of impact being a big one. Look at Luke Mosseys crash at Cadwell yesterday, how do you think he’d have fared if he’s hit the barrier at even 10 degrees less angle? Newton’s laws are obviously applicable but so is something as basic as a free body diagram. Your statement seems to make the assumption that objects are set in motion from motorcycle and being impacted the same. No two crashes are the same not to mention how you fall / leave the bike, ie if you get kind of reverse high sided your body is going to have a velocity (in this case let’s just isolate the head) and that is in a moment arm of say- the upper half of your body, like. Whipping effect, etc etc. It’s a lot more complicated than speed of a motorcycle. Then you have to take into account once the helmet impacts what is the cog of the mass (persons body) and figure out the actual load onto the helmet itself. This isn’t as simple as dropping a helmet at different heights to reach desired speed. So yes you are right but only that it is a key, but small part of the equation figuring out the actual force that the helmet sees.

19. You find me two crashes at two different speeds with exact same angle of impact, body angle, impact point, friction coefficient at impact, etc etc and I’ll agree with that :)

20. fastedyamaha

Sheeeeet man, this is the beeb! Pitchforks, trebuchets, and 3 foot screwdrivers at noon is how we settle things around here. Logic ain’t got no place here :beer: