1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumpster Diving

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Aug 15, 2019.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

A mechanical contractor I do machine work for always has some goodies in their dumpster from their jobs. I dropped some parts off yesterday and pulled these out of the dumpster. They need a few parts but will go well with a bigger shop I have planned
    reelcraft.jpg

K51000, TurboBlew, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  2. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Demo crews have all the luck.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Guys with super clean well set up Bridgeports have all the luck.

badmoon692008 and YamahaRick like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the guys working the landfills here seem to luck out when Grainger or some supply place dumps thousands of dollars worth of good usable stuff...lol. As for personal gain... Im stocked up on R38 batt from installers that get paid piecemeal. Crazy how much brand new in packaging stuff that gets tossed into metal containers

5. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

You guys would shit at the amount of stainless steel tube, fittings and structural components we throw away in a day....

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Nice haul, those will be nice to have for sure.
    I couldn't work in a place like that. My own shop would look like an episode of hoarders (more than it already does) :).

YamahaRick likes this.
  7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Too bad you're not closer, I'd be interested in buying some that insulation if it's something you have ample access to and depending on the sizes and facing. I've been stocking up on material in advance so it's not such a hit to the wallet.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hopefully by throw away you mean send to the scrap yard for recycling.

A customer of mine scraps large cutouts of .125 al sheet every day. It's depressing

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Look up all the military hardware and construction equipment we pushed into pits in iraq and Afghanistan because it was more expensive to ship back than it was worth.

10. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Correct. We recycle it but the dumpster is the dumpster, in general of course.

We separate it out by material type, 304, 316, AL6XN, C22 mostly.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

not sure where youre at but some energy utilities offer rebates towards insulating. Also if your local building dept lists their daily inspections with addresses... rest assured the insulation installers waste alot of material.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

When I do contact with for Canadians they often come here without work visas
    . So they but everything they need here. If they're not shipping back substantial stuff, it gets abandoned. I still have new moving blankets from 8 years ago. I literally filled the entire bed of my truck over the cab with them and drove them back from NYC to Baltimore. And it looked like I had barely taken any. Just not worth sending back. I have tools, boxes of hardware, all kinds of stuff I use all of the time. Yet I can't talk a customer into a 4oo buck lockset.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

400 dollar lockset??!!! What kind of cheap assed hardware you trying to pawn off on people???:D

BrianC636 likes this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

He opted for the 89.oo passage door knob. For like a closet door..I just build the doors man. I pick hinges but I'll install whatever crap they buy. Lol. But yeah... The cheapest nice full mortis entry locks I could find started at 400. I usually point people towards emtek.

britx303 likes this.
  15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Oh,I know all about how stupid customers are when getting woodwork done with the cheap ass hardware they want to use to go along with it.............one of the aspects im glad to be away from with private industry now. But along the lines of the title to this thread.........if yall could just see what we throw away it where im at,but we aren't allowed to get it out of the trash:mad:

16. joec

joec brace yourself

I have an engineer friend at becton Dickson. It's a free for all there.. I got a brand new never used rolling contrax rolling gantry with a Harrington 1ton electric hoist they raffled off. I think I paid fifty bucks for tickets. Maybe 10 tickets..I think they only sold like 20 tickets. It had been sitting in thier plant for a year on the shipping pallet. An argument broke out between a couple bunch of the employees over who was going to get to take it home. So they sold tickets and my friend picked up a bunch for me.

I do have friends that are professional dumpster divers though. Since they don't have a truck and I do.... In kind of on call for them when they find something good.

Lol

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I found a half eaten muffuletta in the dumpster behind McAllister’s the other day. I had to fight a couple raccoons for it, and I think I’ve got rabies now, but damn it was good. And I saved $8!!!

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Found a Mexican Strat once in Hollywood behind the liquor store I worked at. No strings, worn neck, chunk out of the headstock, faded paint. I cleaned it, put a new pickup in it, strung it, and sold it for $400.

Found a dead body once. No joke.

worthless likes this.
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For real I found some Pit Bull stands at the recycling place once. I made a thread about it.

Metalhead likes this.
  20. joec

joec brace yourself

I remember!