1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in the Greenville, SC area know how to install metal roofing, siding, trim?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpracer15, Aug 15, 2019.

1. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I am building a 40' x 52' pole barn with 12' ceilings and doing most of the work myself. I am looking for anyone in the area that is experienced in hanging metal roofing/siding for help whether it be helping me with one panel to get started or the entire job. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Thanks, had some help getting the poles up and bracing, crane for the trusses. Roof framing I did alone, in the heat and it sucked.....
    I dont see how guys can do this day in, day out in the heat! Rain has me 2 months behind schedule!

BigBird, Phl218 and RossK6 like this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

@Metalhead you need to go screw u...i mean help Chuck.

:D

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to hang it, but I'm willing to come help if you'll in turn help me get the framing done on mine.

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Did so much of it as a kid it’s not that bad, provided you built it square.

Oh and weather gloves. Shit’s sharp.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

i watched a youtube series on some barn builds. pretty amazing...

but i don't know jack shit.

sorry.

good looking poles man!

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If your luck runs like mine as soon as you start handling the sheets the wind will pick up an extra 20 mph.

zamboiv likes this.
  9. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I was close to square when I started but I have not checked the roof. I know its out, I am not a pro....I can live with it not perfect....

I am learning all of this for the first time......

speedluvn likes this.
  10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

For the roof and sides make sure you start at the opposite side you’ll be walking/driving up to. This way when you overlap the ridges you won’t be staring at a bunch of joints. I hope that makes sense.

Also, don’t over tighten the screws and smash the rubber washers and do yourself a favor and buy magnetized hexhead bits otherwise you’ll be cussing all day.

It’s realky not all that difficult and I’d do the roof first. Otherwise you risk banging your new sides with the panels you’re wrestling up to the roof.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    gpracer15 likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Is it the outfit out of Illinois??? If so, I watched a few of his builds, that guy is AWESOME, even goes into details for each phase!

If I learned anything in those vids, like any other job really, it's all about having the right tools for the job. The dude has two different sized platform/scissor lifts which helps make short work of hanging all that metal siding.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Shoulda built 80'x104'...

YamahaRick and Banditracer like this.
  13. jschuster2

jschuster2 Well-Known Member

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah, I think it was them. Absolutely fascinating to watch

XFBO likes this.
  15. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Did you have to get a permit for that?

16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

R&R Buildings on youtube is who i watched

one the roof panels i have a material added called drip stop. plus i have vented soffits and ridge.

yes i got a permit and inspections

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Your roof purlins are laid flat...hope you don't get a big snow load. Mine are edge laid, good for 3 ft of snow. My next barn, if there ever is one, will be 16 ft to the trusses with 14 ft doors. Big enough to pull full size trailers into. Consider using a 2 ft fiberglass panel along the top of the walls, under the eaves. That will allow a lot of natural light in and you won't need the lights during the day.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

@Metalhead

he's the go- to house renovator . and he's like only 10 min from ya

BigBird likes this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

And he’s a master redneck. No solution he can’t find a problem for. :D

speedluvn and ChemGuy like this.
  20. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I’m shocked he didn’t take me up on my offer.