1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC remote access

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I use TeamViewer to connect to an office PC when I travel or work from home. It works great but recently I was flagged as using for "commercial purposes" and although I am single user to one PC and just using it to access files (most of my work business done over a VPN) I am, technically according to their user agreement, a 'commercial user'. I don't mind buying a license but not at $49/month, so I guess I need to switch programs.

What do you guys use for PC remote control/access? I am eyeing RemotePC at $5/month. It doesn't need to be free, just cheaper.

Features I need: really I just need to remotely control my office PC. I do want good security. Using VPN is not good because it's much slower than just the screen/input control that TeamViewer does; there is one particular software that resides on my work PC that is crazy slow over VPN but works fine with TeamViewer. I need access to files and like having the option to print a file from the remote PC on my local printer, but can live without that. I do for sure want password protection for access, I assume they all have that.

Looking for recommendations... thanks in advance.

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

3. Hotfoot

I'm not sure that it needs to be very good - TeamViewer has a ton of features I don't need at all. Don't need whiteboard features, meeting capability, multi-user, etc. Basic remote control of one PC is all I need.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A VPN tunnel and RDP always works.

DaveB and beac83 like this.
  5. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

I used Splashtop desktop app years ago, but I dont know what the prices are currently. I liked it because they had an optional plan where I didn't have to have the software on my 'home device' which I was using a tablet to access my office computer.
    Nice feature since our software is costly and has major hardware requirements to run.
    Our office now uses 'Log me in' for remote access. It probably costs alot. I don't know how much for it either.

6. Hotfoot

I was seeing online reviewers recommending Splashtop so just now downloaded and installed a 7 day free trial. Holy cow, it works great, display quality is MUCH better than TeamViewer and it seems faster, too. Easy to set up, seems like it has file transfer ability and can be had for $16.99 a year, or $60/yr for a version that offers remote printing and IOS device access. Which, for that price, I want. Going to work with it for a few days to make sure I like it but so far it seems BETTER than TeamViewer and $5/month instead of $49/month.
    Great suggestion, thank you.

Pitmom42 likes this.