1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we buy a Porsche?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The missus needed a new ride before her Nissan had the inevitable transmission issues, and I really liked the look of the Telluride, but I just can't buy a first model year anything.

Toyota 4Runner was the sober choice.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

All the trucking companies I’ve worked for use those.

Before DPF on diesels, one company would hook a hose to the valve and siphon it through a pump, blending the used oil with the truck’s diesel fuel. Easy way to get rid of the waste. I used to dump my personal waste oil straight into the tank and had no issues.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Okay Porsche dorks: I opened my stupid mouth to a car guy buddy and said I want to own a GT3 RS some day.

Well he found me one. A 2011 6 speed with 20k. Six figure cars aren’t my style at all but when I look at historical values of these things it seems like owning it for a year or two wouldn’t break the bank that badly.

Anything about the 997 that could cause it to plummet? Is 20k too many miles? Maintenance issues?

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

an actual Porsche sports car....be like Nike and just do it :D

JBraun likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

bring it to Porsche for the PPI and have them check if it has been over rev'd ... that's what MOST of the buyers are looking for and apparently for MOST of them it's a deal breaker ... (for your resale value)

JBraun and BigBird like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I forgot about that. yeah what this guy said.

7. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Ive heard that before too. In the days of flappy pedals and computer controlled errrythang how do you actually get it to over rev?

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You could probably buy an even nicer one if you mowed your own lawn.......

motoracer1100 and BigBird like this.
  9. Missed shift on a manual transmission.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    JBraun likes this.
  11. GixxerJohn011

Well that I can definitely see. I didn’t think a high end sports car had a true manual trans even in 2011.

12. Blasphemer!

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

BigBird likes this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

Can you imagine the poor bastard that plugs that into Broome’s old Bacan :crackup:

They probably think they got a steal because it looks better than new inside and out until they realize it spent 543.4 of its 546 operating hours on the red limiter.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

:D

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The beeb delivers. Didn’t know about any of that. Thanks fellas! :beer:

BigBird likes this.
  19. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Nothing to add other than Rob sent you to the website I always hunt and others spoke of the over rev issue. 14-16 were the years they had the rocker arm flaking issue so that shouldn’t be a problem in a 2011.

20. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Btw- is it the RS or the RS 4.0? Dear God I hope it’s the 4.0.