1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto America | Championship of Sonoma | Aug 10-11

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Aug 8, 2019.

1. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

It's BEE-chum and the bike is straight... verified that today.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Spanish flu.. caught it from Bautista

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Can't be - the announcer surely knows more than some frame shop that has all kinds of wizardry to check tolerances.

:)

Great showing by Draik, I'm cheering for Dumas (Canadian kid, the only one we have this year running a full season) but was rooting for Draik and Parrish in that amazing 4-way battle.

Back to track condition... Can MotoAmerica PLEASE drop Sonoma and come up to the PNW and schedule a round at The Ridge - my god it's suchs an improvement over that parking lot after an earthquake hits excuse for a track.

4. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Apparently there was a random check on some of the Jr. Cup bikes and 3 out of the 4 of them were DQ'd for not having restrictor plates

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

That’s interesting. Which 3?

6. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

According to the MA results sheets: Josh Serne, John Knowles, and Nikolas Thompson. Looks like Serne finished 5th before the DQ. All on Ninja 400s.

7. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Who could have seen this coming...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So it's Draik that is bent? I can see that :crackup:

r6boater likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Biggest issue with trying to run a pro event in the PNW is the weather. It's not about the track it's about getting people to pay the ticket prices.

10. younglion

Beeb reports next to no ticket sales at Sonoma so I'd hazard a guess that in the Seattle/Tacoma/Vancouver metro area that the local PNW population would put up similar if not higher spectator ticket sales - sadly the current viewing options at the Ridge are limited and spectator amenities are scarce which I'd bet are the actual reasons for MA not being able to use the Ridge.

Weather there is amazingly dry and hot in Shelton (town where the Ridge is located) from mid-June until mid-Sept so as long as they avoid Spring/Fall rounds they'd have a seriously high chance of dry/hot weather.

I'd love to hear what people who've been there like Ken Hill, Caroline Olsen, Jake Gagne, etc... would say about the track itself in comparison to other MA tracks.

nigel smith likes this.
  11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I’d swear I heard on a podcast that Jason Pridmore was checking out The Ridge for MA.

12. younglion

Jason has spent a TON of time there teaching and guest instructing the past 5 years - he's another one who'd have great insight.

13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

A friend I've been trying to get to come out to PittRace tuned in to watch Sonoma. Between the pretty boring superbike race and it looking like there wasn't a soul there watching, it's really going to make it a tough sell. Granted, ticket sales for most live sporting events are down these days. Hoping for a good Pittsburgh turnout again. The last few years have been strong.

Superbikeorbust likes this.
  14. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

I was at the race. The pits were packed. The stands not so much. It looked like the numbers were up. Can’t wait to see what it was.

15. Superbikeorbust

Surface sucks. Track is amazing!!

16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the pits were packed. It definitely didn't come across on TV that way.

Superbikeorbust likes this.
  17. Superbikeorbust

I feel the same way about the back markers. I did see the blue flag. Haven’t noticed that before. I think it was in the stk1000 when Andrew Lee was lapping someone.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just remind them there is more than one race and it truly is a great time at Pitt for the entire event.

19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What Sean said. Superbike isn’t the only show and for the price of admission it’s well worth it even on a “boring” weekend. Every class this year has had some epic racing, some more than others. Go back through MALive+ and dig up some of those races to show him. There are plenty to choose from.

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I raced car there and it is fun track but that last section down the hill and on to straight sucks.
    I heard MA is going there next season.