1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we buy a Porsche?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. :crackup:

It is when your flight starts boarding at 1:20 and you don’t leave the house till 1. :D

BigBird likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

rd400racer[​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

scottn and rd400racer like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The authors clearly haven't ever built a true sbk motor.

Inst Tech, BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  4. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I’m reviving this thread. It’s time to get rid of the wife’s BMW 335 is convertible. I’m tired of dumping money in that car. We’ve looked at lots of different mid size suvs, but not many ring the right bells for either of us. We found a 2017 Macan S that is certified preowned for just under $45k. I like the idea of letting someone else take the price hit for driving off the lot new. I followed this thread and I have heard all good things about the car. Here’s my questions:
    What are general maintenance costs like? (Oil change, brakes)
    After warranty is gone, can private shops do work on these? I heard a rumor Porsche does not release parts or diagnostic info to private shops?
    Is this a car that should be let go as end of warranty nears?

She went and drove the car today and really liked it. I’ll try to check it out tomorrow.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Slightly higher than the big 3 if you have it done at the dealership. If you can drain oil yourself, change filters and pads yourself then not much. Plenty of qualified third party shops around and plenty folks using them for out of warranty work.

BigBird and wsmc42 like this.
  6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Do it! If you take it to the shop at the maintenance intervals it’s like $400-600 for services, except the majors. You are handy so you can totally do oil and stuff on your own. I don’t know about after warranty, it’s my first Porsche and in 2 years I just turned 12,000 miles.

First thing to do is get a set of lowering springs on it- it’ll handle and look so much better! I have a 2017 Macan S and love it, especially after putting springs on it.

Phl218 and wsmc42 like this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I’m tired of dumping money in that car > BMW 335

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Pacifica >GTI > BMW 335

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:crackup:Just stop it.

cpettit likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Does Porsche use those plastic one time use only drain plugs like Audi? Throws a big turd into the punch bowl of DIY oil changes.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

not sure about porsche, but most VAG oil kits come with the plug as part of it. The best thing I've done is get an oil extractor and not even worry about the plugs.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! The stuff that you learn on the beeb. :flag:

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

only works with the paper type filters (non spin-on), I think your Dodge has the same, so it will work. And yeah, much less messy and easy to do.

15. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Fumoto valve is the ticket for oil drain pans. All my cars have them.

jksoft, ducnut and cpettit like this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The beeb still needs a Kia Telluride guinea pig!

You should buy one and report your experience over time with us. :D

17. speedluvn

And what about the oil extractor?

18. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I've never used one. Fumoto valve is $25-ish for most cars and works fine for my needs.

19. speedluvn

Yeah. I need to look into them. It works without a wrench but I was more interested in the oil extractor. With that I could change my own oil forever.

BigBird likes this.
  20. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Haha. I thought someone else was already on that. I guess I need to keep up.