1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Complete rifle, but it’s got the junk Houge flexy stock. I’m planning to upgrade in stages, so I suppose I could move the chassis a little farther down the line.

Timney trigger was also on the early list.

Heard good things about those Hornady rounds, I ordered up a bunch of ELD-X to sight in and plan to use those as my hunting round.

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well your first mistake was remington. :) I'd look at a better scope too, hell I have a 4.5-29 athlon on my .22. That being said I shot my best long range score at 10x on a hot july day when the mirage was terrible. Something decent closer to 20x is better, I'll go higher when it's cool and the mirage is minimal. KRG is good for an upgrade, a friend has one for sale for $275. Picked it up on a prize table last year for hunting use.

3. Scotty87

Yeah, I’ve read some of the QC problems with Remington. I always wanted a 700 though and this is just me dipping my toe in the water. The longest range near me only goes out to 250 so I have to do some digging to see if this is even gonna be a feasible option for me. It’s primarily a hunting gun at this point.

I’d appreciate your buddy’s contact info if ya don’t mind.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The good thing about 700's is that if there is a trigger or accessory made, it will probably be made for a 700 first. The bad, is that its a Remington.

My Tikka(shot out barrel) loves the ELD-X bullets still.

Athlon scopes are good for the price. I have owned an Talos BTR and currently have an Argos BTR. I layer behind an Ares last night and still believe my Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 is far better. I haven't spent enough time with a Cronus to give feedback on it.
    For hunting scopes, I'm a Leupold fan. I want a VX5hd, but may have to settle on less for this year(CDS version of the 3i or even cheaper, the VX Freedom).

What kind of price range is this 700?

5. Scotty87

I paid $479 for it. As for how much I’m willing to spend outfitting it, I don’t really have a set limit but I’d imagine I’m be good with throwing a grand or so at it.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Mirage is no joke . I’ve never encountered it as a hunter but out here shooting paper, you really have to dial it back sometimes

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I thought you were close to Milwaukee? McMiller has up to 300yds.

Just got the scope for my new 6.5 AR10 I built. 24" ss Ballistic Advantage (they make Aero branded barrels also) barrel, Aero upper, lower, lpk, bgc and handguard. Freaking thing is HEEEAAAAVVVVYYY. Planning on taking it out this weekend to sight it in and get function tests. Still needs a bipod and monopod. Built as a bench rifle. No plans on trying to hunt with it unless I set up a tripod mount for it to use in my blind. Wish I got extra high rings though. Scope sits a tick low on high rings.

Aerom5complete.jpg

lizard84 likes this.
  8. Scotty87

Nice piece. Set up very similar to my 6.8spc. Mine’s got a mid to lower range Burris 2-7 that I plan to swap onto the 6.5 and replace it with a 1.5-6 or a 1-4 until I decide what real direction I’m going with the 6.5. At this point it looks like it’s going to be my deer rifle so the direction of this ‘build’ (I hate that term I didn’t build shit, just assembled) might change. The land I hunt is very thick woods and all shots are under 200yds, most being under 100. I hunted with the 6.8 last year and kind feel like it was over glassed. 2-7 might just stay in the safe.

I’m in Kenosha. Range I belong to reaches out to 250, what I meant was just noting super far.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Instead of throwing a bunch of parts/money at it, you could put your time in and make it better.

The plastic stock can be dramatically improved by epoxying(I use JB Weld) one or two carbon arrows into the bottom of the forearm and the fill it with as much epoxy as possible. Also you can add some weight into the hollow butt stock by epoxying in some steel.

The trigger should be able to be improved with a little time and a hone. I get the non Accutrigger Savage(Stevens) triggers to ~2.5lbs and pretty crisp. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

My new play toy for hunting and shit, Masterpiece Arms 6.5 PRC on a Curtis action. Supposedly 3/8 MOA capable, questionable that the owner is these days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

6.5 PRC looks very nice. Let us know how it goes.

I finally settled on a new toy for next season. Browning x bolt 308, 16.5 barrel threaded 5/8-24, Thunderbeast cb 7 and Swarovski z3. Balances really well and feels like I can walk around forever with it. Looking for an Ultra 7 DT when available.

12. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’ve ran that chassis. I dig the options for stops and mounts. Good choice.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yea, I like my MPA chassis too.

14. lizard84

You three are who put MPA on my radar, Phil was awesome to deal with while configuring the build. Looking to get to the range soon as I’m taking it to Maine in 13 days. The folding stock was a convenance choice for future trips to Canada and other points west on airlines, fits nicely in a shorter pelican 730 vault case.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Spinning up a new Bartlein barrel for my Tikka right now. I'm very excited to se what it can do. Also picked up a couple hundred pieces of Lapua brass.

:beer:

16. lizard84

Last little bits of scope & chassis setup before hitting the range, the Phoenix Precision bipod is awesome.
    [​IMG]

j cal likes this.
  17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What kind of $$ is that beast.

18. lizard84

In the manner of rating restaurant costs from $ to $$$$ its $$$$

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

First outing with the new barrel. 600 tonight. Already as good, or close, as it probably ever shot with the factory barrel. IMAG3371-20190813-185920192.jpg

sanee, MachineR1 and Jedb like this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I am thinking of building a NRL22 base gun to learn ($1050 limit). Narrowed it down to CZ 457 Pro Varmint (16.5" bbl) and Vortex Diamondback Tactical or Tikka T1x (20" bbl) with more $$ Athlon glass. I can get better glass by going with the CZ Varmint but cannot replace the stock and would have to build on it as is. It basically boils down to floating bbl vs pressure pad on the Tikka. Comments from the beeb?