1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey tile guys

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah and that window sill was leaking and had water coming inbetween the stupid plastic cover and the wall. The wood studs don't look totally rotten, so that's good.

nothing in between the rooms on the right. I do want to add some sound deadener to the right or something because you can easily hear the bathroom in the morning, when the kids is asleep.

The left side is mostly the lower roof as it's a split level house, but nothing there too.
    On the outside wall it looks to be blow-in insulation, it's not concrete.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

a 2-lb sledgehammer is all that necessary along with a cover over it?

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, start in one of the bottom corners, and don't be afraid to hit it. It'll come apart easily. Wear gloves when you're carrying the pieces, they can be sharp.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

for the new tub, i recommend going higher as standard. we did that and it's so worth it.

been on youtube yet?

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

during lunch i'll check out the tube, the you not the red :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just finishing up a 6x8 guest bath. Now plumbing is all new but it was previously roughed in during another project so basically just tie ins. We had received estimates of 15,000 from a GC to do the small bathroom. Jusino ourselves we are out of pocket about $11,000 so far. I would guess their $15,000 estimate was pretty close. Amazing what a small bathroom can cost. We went with the Schluter system for all our tile areas.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

What are you getting for 11-15k? I have two small bathrooms to redo in the next couple years and I've been quoted around 5-7k for floor and shower tile and rough in. I'd think the vanity and fixtures wouldn't be too much more than that.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

we were quote about 7-9K for that 5x7, and that was using cheap everything

9. eggfooyoung

Thats cheap, imo.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

interesting. so guess it's definitely keep on going DIY as long as I can

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

i got quoted 3k plus materials by 2 mexicans. i fired them the second day.

so i spent 3 k in materials.

a legit plumber / tile guy would probably have quoted 12k.

BigBird likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Racist.

:D

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

With that window definitely use schluter products and water proofing or you will have issues.

BigBird likes this.
  14. eggfooyoung

That's cheap, imo.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

And dump that casing, put tile returns to the window, and tile all the way to the ceiling. And tile the ceiling! :D

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

LOL.mostly spoke spanish with them. should have spoken german. but everything was crooked... it hurt my brain. they also left a gap between slate backsplash and white subway tiles, where i could see the stud. when i asked them why they did it like that and not how i told them, they sai, but we are going to put silicone in there.
    i told them to pack up, gave them $50 for materials and wished them hasta luego.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Fuck tiling the ceiling! But other than that yes!

TurboBlew, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

friend had theirs done, quote was 25k and 6 weeks, ended up being 30k and 9 weeks. and they have mold in the upper shower grout after a year

20. eggfooyoung

:crackup:Only because it sucks, but you know its bullet proof.

TurboBlew, noles19 and Phl218 like this.