1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triple bearing nut/rubber washer

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GRH, Aug 6, 2019.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What's the function of the rubber washer between the nut that preloads the steering stem bearings and the nut that the triple sits on top of?

2. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

To keep dust and debris out of the bearing area. May even help with water intrusion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducnut likes this.
  3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The washer is between the 2 nuts
    Would be where #12 is in this image
    [​IMG]

4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Anti vibration ? So it doesn't vibrate loose ?

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It's soft rubber so if you tighten the upper nut too much it distorts it. Bike is a S1000rr although I've seen it on other bikes as well.

6. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Increasing drag on loosening...that's all I got. Possibly so the 2 fasteners don't chem-weld ? Just guesses...but it has to have a function .. Singular use like a crush washer.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Lockwasher. Cheaper to manufacture than a keyed lockwasher.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The one on my bike isn't a lockwasher though, it's just a rubber washer, here's a pic, it's durometer is softer than a tire

IMG_0553[1].JPG

9. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I believe this is how my 04/06 R1 is, can be very annoying because every few thousand miles the lower but will work it’s way loose a bit. I get in there and snug it back up as close as I can get to specification but it seems to end up doing it again.

10. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you have a tabbed washer that keys the two nuts together.
    The rubber washer gives you some adjustment "squish" which allows you to line up the grooves in the nuts.

Shouldn't there be a larger plastic "cover" there also to help seal that area from water?

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

That's what I think happened, my '04 R1 has the same setup as you mentioned

There is a tabbed washer and and no plastic cover, or at least not one when I bought the bike from the previous owner
    The squish you mentioned makes the most sense but my bearings had to be tightened up about a half turn recently

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I know exactly the washer you describe. But wait for the explanation that pleases you.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just Google it, that's what all my customer's do and their shit is still broke when it comes in. :D

14. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

My 600rr has the rubber and a keyed washer to lock em in place. That may have been my fz1 actually I can't remember. I think it's to help lock em in place.

15. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

The rubber washer keeps the lock rings separated. The gap prevents the bearing preload from tightening up when the top crown nut is torqued down.