1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'General' started by kangasj, Aug 1, 2019.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

So....I've always been a wet stone guy but decided to buy an electric sharpener. I had a room mate one time who had one and it did a great job very quick. Anywho I was reading some reviews on Amazon and this one cracked me up...:D

"I am blown away by this product.

I appreciate good knives. Whether cooking, camping or hunting, I like them to be sharp. Razor sharp. I want to be able to shave with my pocket knife.

My local mobile sharpener recently went out of business, so I've been looking for a good sharpening tool. This arrived yesterday, and I've sharpened every knife I can find to a razors edge. I'm now trying to sharpen the cheese knives. I probably need to warn my girlfriend. Testing the knives I'm now bald and I've shaved half the dog. The cat now won't come near me. So far no stitches, but the cat might change that.

I started with a cheap Kershaw pocket knife that's never been sharp. 10 passes on each side through all 3 wheels, and I can shave a grasshoppers belly.

I moved onto an old Benchmade knife that had 2 blowouts on the blade from an electrical arc. 20 passes through the #1 wheel on each side, 10 each on 2 & 3, and I'm now clean shaven for dinner tonight.

On to the Wusthof Classic kitchen knives; the chefs knife can now shave garlic paper thin, the carving knives ....... well they're better than new.

In short, you're obviously looking for a good knife sharpener if you're reading this. If you're a cheapskate, I easily have 20 s***ty as-seen-on-tv options, or worse, that I'd happily send your way if you'll pay the shipping. If you want a good knife sharpener for quality knives, or even a good knife sharpener to make the best of that crap your in-laws gave you for Christmas in 1986, buy this. You'll love it.

Rebel635 and ducnut like this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

wsmc42, BigBird, Rebel635 and 3 others like this.
  3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Went for a road trip last weekend, and picked up a bag of gummy coke bottles because I haven't seen them in ages. About an hour on the road and I'm half a bag deep now, and then it dawns on me where I recognize the brand name from.....Haribo. Nothing happened but I switched over to the collector lanes driving across Toronto just to be sure I could get off the highway in a hurry if I needed to. :)

BigBird and cha0s#242 like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This thread is dull

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Put your nose to the grindstone and sharpen it up.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Got a link? I've been meaning to look at them as an alternative to my stone and steel.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

A long time ago Amazon was selling the Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 vibrating broomstick. There were lots of reviews from mothers that loved it

themso much they wouldn't let their kids get their hands on them.
    Then Amazon deleted all the comments. :(

Phl218 likes this.
  9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  10. Apparently we aren’t allowed to give opinions on products as it’s a type a personality thing so I will just state a fact. I have stones, higher end v shape with adjustable angle for quick pocket knife touch ups (I’m hard on pocket knives) and a wheeled paper for the angle grinder. I made a fixture of sort just to make it easier to hold and so it gets the proper angle. They all have their purpose but paper wheel, if done right is unreal. Just done be one of those idiots who hold the sharp edge towards the rotating wheel while looking at eye level to see if you have r right angle. If you do video tape it., we want to see Darwin at work.

ducnut likes this.
  11. Never gets old. My head office is in the same town as Haribo hq. They don’t the humor in it

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Personal experience?

13. No, I’m an engineer with common sense who can actually build stuff. I went straight to over engineering a billet holding fixture :)

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Learned something new.

Always having the perfect angle and edge is exactly why I bought a sharpening system for my mower blades. It makes a huge difference in the cut quality.

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Bloodhound likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I bought all kinds of diamond and ceramic "stones" for sharpening the edges on my skis. Turns out they also work quite well for knives too.

17. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Don’t give us this buildup without a link to this amazing sharpener lol.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I kind of want that sharpener now. Link?

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I brought the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition cause I like sharp shyt! I'm still learning how to sharpen with it to split atoms. Nothing beats a sharp knife!

20. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Quicktoy likes this.