1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good simple lap timer?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jul 29, 2019.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What is an inexpensive lap timer I can buy to put on the boys bike and setup the transmitter when we go to the track and practice?

2. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I had one of those Ebay cheapies and couldn't get it to work for shit. I'd think with all the GPS ones now you should be able to find a good old UltraLap setup real cheap.

5. There are apps you can put on your phone that will use the GPS in your phone and do it.

That would be free, assuming you already have a phone. :D

But it also means you have to secure the phone in his suit or on the bike somewhere.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I didn't want to risk breaking my phone during an off. And I cant afford $300-500 on a GPS version. So I looked at reviews and tried this one.

It's really simple and worked perfectly, and was within my budget. There was even a comparison video with this one mounted with a GPS version and it was within thousandths of a second per lap, IIRC, of the high$ unit. Close enough for me and my needs.

7. Screw all of these gadgets - just do what the Internet Fast Guys do:

• Look up the track lap record
    • Add between 0.5 - 1.2 seconds to that laptime, depending on how fast you think your son should be
    • Declare that as his official laptime
    It‘s absolutely cost-free, and if you refuse to allow him to be measured with a gadget, it’s indisputable.

R Acree, busa99, L8RSK8R and 5 others like this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here's a new twist: Racing the 24 hours of Lemons this last weekend, I decided to use my Garmin watch to track my session. I have a huge dataset of one session, but I don't know how to break the data into discrete laps. I can divide the "total time" data into quantity of laps, but I get one big average. Anyone know of a software or hack to break up a continuous loop into laps or sections?

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Buy a prepaid or used/refurb smartphone for $40-$80. Run one of the many track apps out there. Happy enough with Track Addict for my level of need.

11. assjuice cyrus

I dont wanna do the phone route. Much rather have something on the bike and can look at with just a push of a button.

12. That is not the correct approach.

When The Mongo first decided to Ruin Road Racing For Everyone, he introduced transponders, which increased laptimes across the board by an average of 10sec/lap, due to "tire issues,", "track conditions," and "setup problems." You are trying to upset the epic blaming. DIAF.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  13. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three.....

busa99 and assjuice cyrus like this.
  14. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

I've got a XT racing GP X pro 4 i'd sell very reasonable, not using it, excellent condition.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

No Mongo didn't start this transponder thing we tried to get transponders introduced, lol

16. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

You forgot 80-lap Dunlop takeoffs....

17. assjuice cyrus

Well shoot my your best price. That's more then I'm looking for but never know.

18. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have an XT mini. I think it's been used twice. Not GPS based and bare minimum, etc. I've offered it on here before and even put it on ebay and nobody wants it..lol. Lemme know if you'd be interested in it

19. assjuice cyrus

Sure what are you wanting for it?

20. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM